We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

TNA online events

A space for genealogy-related conversations.
Thunder

TNA online events

Post by Thunder »

I have just received an e-mail from TNA in which they are asking people to pay a donation (the figure suggested by TNA is from nothing to £15!) for the event. Surely after the last two years we have had and TNA not allowing full access to Kew then this is inappropriate. Before Coronavirus I would be prepared to pay a small amount but it has to be small and in my view if it is an event done by TNA staff then we should not pay!. Personally I would donate just 1 penny. Are TNA so cash-strapped they want us to finance them, I am surprised they don't charge for things like readers' tickets, but that may come.
AdrianBruce

Re: TNA online events

Post by AdrianBruce »

Hmm. I have to say that there is a world of difference between on the one hand, a volunteer led organisation putting events on and asking for donations, and on the other - a professional organisation doing the job that it's paid for, but still asking for extra donations.

I'm not familiar with the online events in question but if set up by the professional staff, I would tend to be surprised by asking for cash contributions. My immediate reaction would be to wonder if it's even legal!
Adrian Bruce
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

I suspect the word 'donation' is the word the TNA would point to in its defence.

On the otherhand, years ago my cash-strapped NHS non-clinical department was positively encouraged to raise funds through workshops and room hire and anything else we could think of. Trouble was, if you ended the year with a surplus in the departmental budget that amount was cut from the next years budget. I wonder if this is the plan here...
Thunder

Post by Thunder »

TNA have not restarted on-site events which they usually charged for, but TNA is financed by the UK taxpayer and how much would they actually make for on-line events, is it worth the candle to try.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

It could be an attempt to see how much people care and would be willing to stump up to hold onto this resource. Question is - if cash flows forth will the government think it could be privatised? Or, if no cash arrives will it conclude we aren’t interested enough? :shock: