We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

WDYTYA - 23 November - Joe Sugg

A space for genealogy-related conversations.
phsvm

WDYTYA - 23 November - Joe Sugg

Post by phsvm »

YouTube star Joe Sugg uncovers some incredible stories in his family tree, with a little help along the way from big sister and fellow social media influencer Zoe. Very aptly, Joe discovers a great-great-great grandfather who was involved in the earliest days of communication technology - in electrical telegraphs. Pushing further back, he finds seven-times-great grandparents who fled religious persecution in France and a goldsmith who survived the Great Fire of London.

Another individual many may not of heard of. Although Joe came to prominence as a YouTuber he was also a celeb on Strictly Come Dancing where he proved to be an excellent dancer. If that wasn't enough he is also a trained thatcher. It'll be interesting to see if either of these talents run in his family.
Mick Loney

Re: WDYTYA - 23 November - Joe Sugg

Post by Mick Loney »

SPOILER ALERT
I’d prefer if you don’t spoil the programme by telling us in advance the details of what’s in the programme. It takes all the fun out of it, just like knowing the score before you watch a football match!
phsvm

Post by phsvm »

I understand your view MIck but this is only a cut and paste from the listing review for the programme. Admittedly I added the bit about his training as a thatcher and a celeb on SCD but that's not giving anymore information about the programme's content.

Some people like to know who the individual is if it's a name they are not familiar with.

Can I suggest that if you don't want a 'spoiler' that, in future, you don't look at the post highlighting the programme until after it's been broadcast?
Thunder

Post by Thunder »

I try to avoid anything about the episode before it starts, I only knew it concerned the Great Fire of London. I enjoyed the programme a lot, apart from one family tree being handed over and I thought the name Le Mesurier was likely to come from Jersey rather than France. I know little about Joe Sugg (I avoid Strictly!!).
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Nice episode, and it made a change for Joe to immediately grasp the significance of what was found, and didn’t need it explained to him, (unlike most other subjects). Although I was surprised he didn’t know about telegraphy, but perhaps that was because I worked in Telecomms for 30 years :lol:

I must admit there were some strange forenames used by his ancestors like Cooth and Delphia, but assume they are of french origin. Was a shame we never found out why she was called Cooth
Hardwork

Post by Hardwork »

On the credits at the end the Jane Austen Museum (or similar) was mentioned so I assume he shared his Austen descent with her too.
Amazinggrace

Post by Amazinggrace »

I too would have liked to know where the Cooth name came from.
Grace. :D
paulr1949

Post by paulr1949 »

I found it very interesting, although I’d never heard of him before. I don’t read these threads until after I’ve watched the programme- nearly always on catch-up as I’m busy so many evenings.
The other thing apart from the fire that I found interesting was that his Huguenot ancestors came from Fresnes in Normandy, which is where one of my wife’s 3* great grandmother was born. She also emigrated to Jersey although it was not until the 19th century. I am not aware that they were refugees.
Paul