We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

1921 Census at Kew

A space for genealogy-related conversations.
Thunder

1921 Census at Kew

Post by Thunder »

I discovered today that TNA are not going to offer a booking service for access to the returns from 6 January but will be on a first-come-first-served basis for the computers, which I think is the wrong way to go. This assumes the website doesn't crash on Day One and researchers aren't stopped by Boris Johnson from visiting TNA. Interestingly there are no plastic screens separating people as there are in the Reading Rooms!.
AntonyM

Re: 1921 Census at Kew

Post by AntonyM »

Introducing a system to manage booked access to the computers just for this would be a big task for TNA, so I don't blame them. On my recent visits most of the PCs have been vacant, and they are reasonably spaced (and masks required), so I don't see an issue.

I won't be visiting TNA to access the 1921 census for a week or two to let the rush pass - the website is bound to crash on the first day anyway (they always do).
Professional Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
Thunder

Post by Thunder »

TNA have now announced that "The 1921 Census of England and Wales is now available in digital format in our reading rooms, free of charge. You do not need to book to access it, although we may operate timed slots at particularly busy times to help manage demand". This is not good IMO if you happen to spend several hours at Kew waiting for a machine to be vacant.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/about/visit-us/
AntonyM

Post by AntonyM »

I was speaking to a few researchers who have visited Kew since the 1921 went live the other day, and all said they were plenty of PCs available with no queuing or restrictions.

I was told that you can also get free access on your own laptop by using their dedicated 1921 wi-fi connection, so could do your research whilst sitting in the coffee shop if you wanted.

I'm planning a visit to do just that in the next week or two.
Professional Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar