We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Poor Law Unions’ Gazette (Deserted Families)

Tell members about what you have found useful, and find out about other researchers' go-to resources.
VALLMO9

Poor Law Unions’ Gazette (Deserted Families)

Post by VALLMO9 »

Deserted Families: Found this by accident : https://blogs.bl.uk/untoldlives/2018/12 ... zette.html

Looks like FMP has coverage from 1857-1903. Not sure if I have any "deserters" in my family tree, but I'm enjoying the very detailed physical descriptions of the men and women included in the Gazette. There's also detailed mentions of "Male/Female Child Found", some of which include physical descriptions of the adult seen abandoning the child. Brilliant stuff!

I have a FMP sub, so if anyone has a Gazette look-up request for a Poor Law Union "deserter" in their family, send me a PM with what details you know (e.g. desertion year, name, last known address, city/town, occupation, spouse's name, etc). Two look-ups per customer. :)

Bear in mind that the PLUG was a London publication. So the "deserter wanted" details appear under the Poor Law Union location only.

The Gazette entries probably won't help locate your "deserter" but at least you'll have a physical "snap-shot" of your deserter at the time he/she disappeared. Some descriptions even include the deserter's birth place and/or occupation.
Last edited by VALLMO9 on 30 Jul 2020, 19:41, edited 2 times in total.
Mick Loney

Re: Poor Law Unions’ Gazette

Post by Mick Loney »

Just loved the description of the clothing found on the 7month old baby boy, found abandoned on the beach. I think his mother must have put ‘all’ his clothes on, judging by the quantity! I know all babies, boys or girls were dressed alike, but to read of him wearing ‘Petticoats’ bought a smile to my face, notwithtanding his terrible plight, having been abandoned!

I did an A-Z records search for the gazette on FMP, but nothing came up. VALLMO9, How did you find it?
Templ4r

Post by Templ4r »

They are on the British newspaper archive and FMP newspapers ( same thing)
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Mick Loney wrote: 30 Jul 2020, 08:27 I did an A-Z records search for the gazette on FMP, but nothing came up. VALLMO9, How did you find it?
It you search in Newspaper names on FMP, just enter "Poor Law" in the search field. That should bring it up. For some reason, the Gazette doesn't appear in the A-Z list.
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Thanks, I was looking in A-Z. (Weird why it isn’t included :cry:
I eventually found it in newspapers, searching for Poor Law but got too many results. I then added Gazette to restrict the results, then used Poor Law Unions’ Gazette, which did work.
Sadly, I don’t have the necessary subscription level to take advantage of this resource, but worth noting for the future.
Thanks
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Mick Loney wrote: 30 Jul 2020, 18:59 Sadly, I don’t have the necessary subscription level to take advantage of this resource, but worth noting for the future.
Mick - if you need a look-up or two, drop me a PM with the "deserter" details. :)
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Thanks