We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

LMA Coroners Court reports (1901-1927)

Tell members about what you have found useful, and find out about other researchers' go-to resources.
VALLMO9

LMA Coroners Court reports (1901-1927)

Post by VALLMO9 »

Stumbled across these reports by accident. Beginning on Page 32 are brief descriptions of London coroner's inquests from 1901 to 1927. Each entry provides Name, Age, Occupation, Cause of Death, against Inquest Date. NOTE: If name was unknown, it will be listed under Unknown Man or Unknown Woman - against the Inquest Date. https://search.lma.gov.uk/LMA_DOC/CLA_041.PDF
Norfolk Nan

Re: LMA Coroners Court reports (1901-1927)

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Thanks for the link - a very interesting but sad slice of early 20c life. So many deaths from clothes catching light or poison or accidents on railways and roads. Too many dead babies abandoned or thrown in the river. Quite a few surgical deaths. A link for social historians I think.
Thunder

Re: LMA Coroners Court reports (1901-1927)

Post by Thunder »

Interesting. I noticed the entry for Dante Rossetti, I like the way they just describe him as an artist, he was quite well-known:-

CLA/041/IQ/03/029: 1861-1862: Coroner's inquests Sample images are available to view online via the Player and show the inquest report for Elizabeth Rossetti, wife of Dante Gabriel Rossetti, an artist, who accidently took an overdose of laudanum on 10 February 1862.

There are also some executions in prison, people dying in prison and railway accidents. The records go much earlier dates and include Catherine Eddowes (one of the so-called 'canonical' victims of 'Jack the Ripper'). Of course deaths from clothes catching fire still went on until the 1960s when changes to non-inflammable materials and fire guards. Some of the files clearly have a bigger background and could help researchers. Great find though.