We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Ayrshire records

Tell members about what you have found useful, and find out about other researchers' go-to resources.
paulr1949

Ayrshire records

Post by paulr1949 »

Hi all,

I'm sure I have seen it somewhere before, possibly on the old forum, but I stumbled across http://www.ayrshireroots.co.uk/ yesterday when looking at a couple of hints in Family Historian. I have a few relatives in my Gill ancestors who hail from Ayrshire, and my wife's Norris ancestors have rather more. I suspect the site hasn't been updated in a while, but there's still a mine of information, you can search the database by person, family or place. Of the information I already have, nearly all of it was the same , and I found a couple of new great-great uncles/aunts for my wife's tree.
Paul
paulr1949

Re: Ayrshire records

Post by paulr1949 »

I have been using the site today and, while the information is very useful, the site is definitely slightly user unfriendly. I have found it necessary to create a bookmark in order to get back to the family I was looking at, as I couldn't work out a way from the home page :roll:
I originally found the site by chance when I put the village of Sorn, Ayrshire into google.
I do not believe the site has actually been updated since about 2016, although there are apparently over 80000 records.
Paul