We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

18th-century Deserters in newspapers

Got any useful ideas for us or for other members? Of course you do! Share them here!
VALLMO9

18th-century Deserters in newspapers

Post by VALLMO9 »

For those with 18th-century British Army ancestors, don't forget that military deserters often appear in local newspapers. In addition to birthplace and regiment info, some will also include physical descriptions, nicknames, and other helpful details. Like the talented chap below:

Newcastle Courant 13 November 1756
"John Cuthbertson, 23 years of age, five feet nine inches high, fresh complexion, long visage, brown hair and eyes, born at Warkworth, near Alnwick, Northumberland, wig maker, plays on the violin, went off from the Grenadier Company in a light brown coat. N.B. His father keeps an ale-house in Warkworth aforesaid".

One important search strategy to consider is not all newspaper reports used the deserter's full name. Sometimes the first name is abbreviated.

I would imagine using the deserter's surname + key words such as: deserted, deserter, regiment, age, complexion, apprehends, shillings will help locate an 18th-century newspaper report (if it exists).

When searching, remember that newspapers used Old English text, including words with the long s ("fpeaks" for speaks, "refided" for resided, "Majefty's for Majesty's), etc.
Norfolk Nan

Re: 18th-century Deserters in newspapers

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Thanks for that Vallmo9, a useful tip. :D
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Norfolk Nan wrote: 16 Aug 2020, 14:41 Thanks for that Vallmo9, a useful tip. :D
In another life, I would've loved to compile a list/database of 18th-century army deserters from newspaper reports. :)
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Perhaps you will one day ... still plenty of time!

I also found the keywords suggestions useful - I'm not hot on online research using keywords so thank you! :lol: