We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

What is his Occupation?

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
BeeJayEss

What is his Occupation?

Post by BeeJayEss »

What is this Occupation please?
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (54 KiB) Viewed 4048 times
Bev
devonliz

Re: What is his Occupation?

Post by devonliz »

I think it says
Drover&C
evidently a versatile labourer who could also drove animals - accompany a flock of sheep or geese at certain times of the year
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

I agree definitely something to do with Drover/Droving.

Perhaps the reference for the actual census page may help us to look further.

How does this idea compare with other census records for the person you are researching?
Sally
BeeJayEss

Post by BeeJayEss »

The census reference is Piece 2556 Folio 67 Page 62 - Patrick O'Brien.

In 1861 he is a Mason's labourer (at least I think this is the same chap). In 1864 he is a Butcher (Journeyman), this is definitely the same chap. In 1881 he is a Pork Butcher.

Thanks for any guidance.
Bev
woodchal

Post by woodchal »

The marks between what is Drover and C at the end are very distinctive. A comparison with the rest of the page might indicate what this form of pen strokes resembles.

I would look for you, but you have not given us a lot to go on - DOB and place of birth might be a good start - the Piece/Folio/page doesn't help me find the image.

A little more information might help our willing community see if they can provide your requested guidance.
avaline

Post by avaline »

woodchal wrote: 09 Dec 2020, 23:28 The marks between what is Drover and C at the end are very distinctive. A comparison with the rest of the page might indicate what this form of pen strokes resembles.

I would look for you, but you have not given us a lot to go on - DOB and place of birth might be a good start - the Piece/Folio/page doesn't help me find the image.

A little more information might help our willing community see if they can provide your requested guidance.
Its easily found from the information given - 1871 census Patrick O'Brien (or O'Brian) born c1826 Ireland, living at 44 Great George Street, Clifton, Bristol.
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

woodchal wrote: 09 Dec 2020, 23:28 the Piece/Folio/page doesn't help me find the image.
Findmypast certainly allows one to search using Piece/Folio/Page, I’m pretty sure the same goes for Ancestry if you look deep enough (try advanced search)
Jacobs-Barnes

Post by Jacobs-Barnes »

Looking at the whole page it's an ampersand (&)Image
Attachments
&.JPG
&.JPG (17.78 KiB) Viewed 3953 times
AdrianBruce

Post by AdrianBruce »

So, just to be clear, it's "et" (from "and") and "c" - i.e. "etc" - "etcetera". "Drover, etc."

Have I ever seen that way of writing "etc" before? Not sure...
Adrian Bruce
Thunder

Post by Thunder »

This way of writing etc is fairly common but its use in limited by what goes before it, so 'drover, etc' to define similar occupations to drover and may not appear in many online documents but the use of etc in this way does cut down on the words in a document where it might be repeated or that there is a lack of space. In the case of the parish of St Philip and St Jacob (it really should be SS Philip & Jacob to show that it was two saints, but I can't see the whole line) is fairly standard in documents.