We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Isaac Jacob Arthur Kemp

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
jkmsk

Isaac Jacob Arthur Kemp

Post by jkmsk »

My husbands grandfather was Isaac Jacob Arthur Kemp. He was born in 1900 in Norwich and died in 1945 in Norwich.
He had a grocers shop at 17 Timberhill Norwich between 1922 - 1933. Does anyone have any info on the shop, I have been searching for ages and can’t find any.

Many Thanks
Erm79

Re: Isaac Jacob Arthur Kemp

Post by Erm79 »

A preliminary search for the time period on National Archives Discovery comes up with documents for two places in Timberhill at Norfolk Records Office, neither a grocers.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov. ... th&_st=adv

However it would be worth contacting Norfolk Records Office when they are back open. From their website it looks like they're only dealing with urgent enquiries at present. They could have collections not catalogued down to item level which might be of use and are probably best placed to know what kind of sources they have, for example rates or land value records. It depends on what exactly you are looking for, for example an image of the shop may exist, but could be that it is a side view as part of a larger street scene. It is also worth seeing if there are any local history books about the area which could have images or information in. The Norfolk Heritage Centre are probably worth contacting to see if they have anything of that nature.

https://www.norfolk.gov.uk/libraries-lo ... age-centre

In the meantime Norfolk Records Office have got a very useful set of pages on how to search house history that could suggest some further options
https://www.archives.norfolk.gov.uk/hel ... your-house

As it is a business, not just the building you're looking for you could always search the British Newspaper Archive for any mentions in the local paper too. As you know the dates he ran the shop I assume that you've already checked online Kelly's Directories.

Hope some of those might be of use. Good luck
jkmsk

Post by jkmsk »

Thanks for the info, I have in the past been to the Norfolk records office and couldn’t find anything, but always worth another visit. The national archives and Norfolk heritage links were interesting, lots of pictures but none of 17 Timberhill. I’ll keep on searching .....
paulr1949

Post by paulr1949 »

It might be worth joining the Norfolk FHS facebook group if you do facebook. They're quite active (I am a member of the society but haven't used their FB page yet)
Paul
Templ4r

Post by Templ4r »

In 1905 it was up for rent at £18 a year, currently a cigarette manufactory..

1910 it was a shoe repairers.
jkmsk

Post by jkmsk »

Thanks for the info