We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

What do they have in their hands? What Occasion?

This is the place for your genealogy-related photos.
woodchal

What do they have in their hands? What Occasion?

Post by woodchal »

This photo is from around 1892 (from the ages of the girls).

They are obviously dressed up and are all holding something in their hands - flowers? with ribbons. They are the youngest 3 of 15 children with their mother.

Any suggestions as to what occasion this might have been
Attachments
Fanny and Girls.jpg
Fanny and Girls.jpg (783.7 KiB) Viewed 3968 times
VALLMO9

Re: What do they have in their hands? What Occasion?

Post by VALLMO9 »

Looks like the daughters are holding small ribbon-wrapped bouquets. Does the mother have one in her left hand (resting on the fence)? Not certain, but does she have a hat or bonnet (trimmed with flowers) in her lap? The photo looks like it was taken outdoors.
As the mother and older daughter are dressed in black, could the occasion be something funeral-related? None of the photo's subjects look happy. Did anyone in the family pass away c1892, including grandparents?
woodchal

Post by woodchal »

The picture was taken at the entrance to the cottage where my mother, daughter one of the the girls in the photo (front left), eventually grew up a good few years later!

The photographer would have been standing on the road - there was only 2ft between road and door. The girls are standing on what was probably the base of the gate posts, but in the middle where the mother is there was a 1ft step down to the door.

No known family deaths in 1892. I think the glumness may be a red herring - 1892 is quite early and I wondered if the photographer had told them to be perfectly still - something my grandmother didn't quite manage as her flower is blurred. I think the bonnet? in the middle maybe something that the oldest daughter is holding. Black dresses may have been "best ware"

Maybe somebody might know of a custom when little flower posies like these were worn - Easter?
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Initially I thought the ribbon bouquets were a "prop" for the young girls, to keep them from fidgeting. But if the mother has one, as well, maybe they weren't meant to be props. Is there a photographer's name anywhere on the photo?
Guy

Post by Guy »

I would suggest something the two younger girls were attending, they a dressed the same, bridesmaids? Or perhaps something at school the dresses look quite summery to me or perhaps an Easter parade.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Cricketlover

Post by Cricketlover »

Could it be Mothering Sunday? Churches still often give out little posies now to be taken home for mothers, grandmothers, etc and I think this was done more in the past.
phsvm

Post by phsvm »

Or could it be a May Day event?

Check in the local press to see if the local school celebrated with a May Day procession or similar.