We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Findmypast new interface

A space for genealogy-related conversations.
paulr1949

Findmypast new interface

Post by paulr1949 »

I discovered this afternoon that FMP have updated their interface overnight - at least when browsing parish record sets - which is a considerable improvement as there are now controls to change brightness/contrast, the ability to invert the image (Ancestry already has these) and a few other things as well
FMP interface sm.jpg
FMP interface sm.jpg (44.97 KiB) Viewed 3158 times
Paul
Guy

Re: Findmypast new interface

Post by Guy »

Yes also on census pages, I view it as a great improvement but others are not keen on it
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

I found the new screen an absolute nightmare. Just as well I don’t suffer from epilepsy, I’m sure the constant flashing of the screen as one scrolls over a census page could easily trigger an attack. It does my head in, so how an epileptic must feel, heaven only knows.

It is just as bad on their search entry screen, where popups keeping getting in the way of the data entry sliders! Just try to move a slider on one of the fields and the popup hides the slider, totally unworkable. They should at least have a delay built in, so one has to hover the mouse before triggering the popup. Instead, they put a delay in before closing the popup :oops:
Time to go back to the drawing board for a rethink on popups in general!
AdrianBruce

Post by AdrianBruce »

My concern with that "filmstrip" is that on my laptop it covers about a quarter of the glass and therefore covers a large part of the passenger list or whatever, and I can find no way of switching it off. Re
constant flashing of the screen as one scrolls over a census page
Then switch it off!
Screenshot 2021-02-19 113541.jpg
Screenshot 2021-02-19 113541.jpg (26.47 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
See the icon with a line through, immediately to the left of "Viewer Controls". That's in its switched off state. What is arguable is that the default should be off, for exactly the reason that you state.
Adrian Bruce
PatsyAlice

Post by PatsyAlice »

I am afraid I do not like the film strip along the bottom of the page. Even on my large screen it covers up quite a bit of the page, especially when searching through the pages of parish registers. I have searched all over but can see no way of getting rid of it!
Guy

Post by Guy »

If you select full screen, then right click, view image you will see the full image alone on the screen.
There is a way to remove the controls from the screen but it means using third party software that I have not used so I will not suggest it here.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
PatsyAlice

Post by PatsyAlice »

Sorry - I have given that a go but cannot make it work. I am using Widows 10 - I don't know if that makes a difference. I expect I will get used to it!
paulr1949

Post by paulr1949 »

I do not have the option mentioned by Adrian - I have
Image 2.png
Image 2.png (62.54 KiB) Viewed 3067 times
The warning triangle just alloows reporting of an image error.
I also am unable to remove the line of images from the bottom of the screen in full screen mode, when right-clicking there is no option there.
I guess it may be different if you have the full pro subscription - mine is the old British sub which includes newspapers which I am able to keep going as long as I renew it without a gap
Paul
AdrianBruce

Post by AdrianBruce »

Paul - I have the same subs as you but the (what shall we call it?) "sandwich" icon doesn't appear on all collections. I've seen it on census pages, and (IIRC) on the later, pre-printed, formatted pages for baptisms. They seem to be formats where the data is in a pretty predictable position. Pre-Roses Act baptism and burial registers, which are just plain paper, don't have the icon, I guess because the writing could be anywhere on the page. Logically, overlaid text (with consequential flickering) should only appear with the predictable positioning.

When the new FMP interface first appeared, I did submit a request saying "How do I turn the filmstrip off because it covers 1/3(?) of my laptop's payload area?" - I have heard nothing yet, which perhaps suggests this was an OSINTOT moment ("Oh Sugar, I Never Thought Of That" - roughly).
Adrian Bruce
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Adrian,
I have also complained to FMP about the flickering. Seems to me they haven’t thought it through properly.

I have also complained to Ancestry about the popups that appear when trying the filter sliders on their results page. These popups are supposedly there to ‘help’, but they are more of a hindrance, as they obscure the sliders so much, that they become unusable!

Lets wait and see what they have to say, but I doubt they’ll change anything :roll: