We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

ITV confirms the line up for the brand new series of DNA Journey

Post here for your queries about DNA, or help fellow researchers understand theirs.
Mick Loney

Re: ITV confirms the line up for the brand new series of DNA Journey

Post by Mick Loney »

devonliz wrote: 11 Mar 2021, 09:22 Silly me! I watched the first edition of the series on BBC with a similar title, and then the Rednapp/Flintoff show on ITV last night --- what a huge disappointment!

Given the chance to explain, even in very simple terms, what is entailed in taking a DNA test, and then the laboratory tests and the computer comparisons, both BBC and ITV just treated it as a 'black box'. The Beeb even had Trudi King, a world expert on it, for heavens sake, and allowed her to say very little!

As a retired biochemist, I really thought that this was a huge missed opportunity.
I agree wholeheartedly. In last nights episode, it all seemed to be based on normal genealogy research, and Redknapp’s newly found cousins could have been found regardless. To me, DNA played no part in the programme whatsoever, as you say, a real missed opportunity.

The programme on BBC with Stacey Dooley, at least makes use of DNA, but again, skips over the detail, dumbing it down! It would be nice if they at least showed triangulation at work, again a missed opportunity.
Guy

Post by Guy »

I enjoyed the Rednapp/Flintoff episode not as a show about DNA, not as a show about family history but simply as entertainment.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Chiddicks

Post by Chiddicks »

Having watched both series I have to say that I much preferred the BBC series. The ITV series was just about the celebrity, rather than the story, much preferred the BBC programmes as they centred on the individual stories.

We have to accept that these programmes are catering for the masses rather than the experts. The detail will never be to the level of our own expectations.

Having said that, two genealogy based programmes on mainstream TV is a good thing in my opinion.
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Chiddicks,
Whilst both programmes are entertaining, they were being put forward, emphasizing DNA in their titles, so one would be expected to see a little bit more detail! The BBC is slightly better in this regard, but still only mentions DNA in passing. The ITV effort, is more like WDYTYA, again making little use of DNA, despite its title.
Brunes08

Post by Brunes08 »

I agree with what everyone else has said about the new series of DNA Journey. i didn't think much of the Flintoff/Redknapp programme so decided not to watch any more. However, a friend said I should watch the progamme with Amanda Holden and Alan Carr. So I did. It started off a few minutes away from me here in Cornwall which was interesting in itself. Alan's journey was interesting but the very end of Amanda's journey is such a surprise that even I had a OMG moment because it was so unexpected. If you can bring yourselves to watch this episode, do ,because it just goes to show that we shouldn't judge everything on one bad experience.