We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Bloxwich Volunteers

Post your queries about your military ancestors, or help fellow researchers find out about theirs.
ClareBear

Bloxwich Volunteers

Post by ClareBear »

Hello
I am hoping that someone can help with any information on the Bloxwich Volunteers.

Thomas Richard Massey (my great great grandfather) died in 1903 and his obituary thanked the Officers and NC Officers of the Bloxwich Volunteers. Until we found this notice in the local papers, we had no idea that Thomas Massey had any military or army connection.

We would love to know who or what the Bloxwich Volunteers were? Thomas was born in 1842 and died in 1903, and lived all in life in Bloxwich.

Many thanks for any help.
ClareBear
Attachments
T Massey obituary 1903.jpg
T Massey obituary 1903.jpg (572.54 KiB) Viewed 1843 times
Guy

Re: Bloxwich Volunteers

Post by Guy »

Perhaps there is a clue here
http://www.drillhalls.org/CountyImages/ ... etails.txt

Bloxwich

D Company

Bloxwich was the home of D Company 5th South Staffs. There was no drill hall; the company shared the use of 'the Bloxwich Public Hall, situated in Wolverhampton road, locally known as the Music hall, [which] is available for concerts and is also used as a drill hall for the Territorials of E Company 5th South Staffordshire Regiment.'

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
ClareBear

Re: Bloxwich Volunteers

Post by ClareBear »

Hello
Thank you for responding to my question - this is all very helpful, I am a little wiser now and I can do a bit more research on this.

Thanks again
ClareBear