We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Travelling as a military wife 1960s

Post your queries about your military ancestors, or help fellow researchers find out about theirs.
Erm79

Travelling as a military wife 1960s

Post by Erm79 »

Not a historical question but relates to me helping a friend unravel her father's complicated life.
Does anyone know what the situation was in the 1960s with bringing your wife and several children with you if you were in the British army and posted abroad? Were there any rules around this?
I have seen a guide on Google from 2014 that suggests the army now encourages spouses to accompany personnel abroad, but wondered if this was the case last century.
Many thanks for any suggestions or pointers on where to look
Edit: Related to this, I realise that there is a delay in getting military records, but does anyone know if a service number is absolutely necessary when next of kin apply for a deceased soldier's military record?
Thank you
Norfolk Nan

Re: Travelling as a military wife 1960s

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Hi, in answer to the service number question, it isn’t essential but proving a connection is. I applied for my grandfather’s service records earlier this year without knowing his service number. I’m still waiting of course but nothing in the application form or guidelines suggested my application would fail for that reason.
Amazinggrace

Post by Amazinggrace »

You do not need a service number./service number OR date of birth is needed. Only one is mandatory.
You will need a death certificate and proof that you are next of kin.
Good luck
Grace.
avaline

Post by avaline »

I think it would depend on the posting - where to and how long for. My Uncle was in the army in the 1960s and his wife & young daughter travelled with him to Germany, where their second child was born.

However, a cousin was in the army for 30 years (until last year) and his wife never accompanied him abroad - but his overseas postings were always to trouble 'hot spots'.

Another cousin married into the army and lived with her husband in Gibraltar for several years.
phsvm

Post by phsvm »

I was at boarding school in the early '70s with a number of girls whose father's were in the military and serving abroad and the families were with them. Usually they joined their families overseas for the school holidays. Most I think were in Germany, although I do remember one girl's father was stationed in Hong Kong and she only went out there for the summer. The other two holidays she spent with her guardians in the UK.
Erm79

Post by Erm79 »

Thank you everyone. It was a posting to a regular military base in Europe so I will presume that families were welcomed as they are now.
With regard to the military record the applicant will be next of kin so that isn't a concern but they don't have his service number so wanted to check it wouldn't be a wasted endeavour as I know any records are likely to take some time to arrive.
avaline

Post by avaline »

No, you don't need to know the service number but you'll need the full name & DoB, plus death certificate.
Eileenlc

Post by Eileenlc »

I had two uncles in the British Army in the 1950s and 1960s. Their families usually travelled overseas with them, to postings including Germany, Kenya, Cyprus, West Africa (Ghana?) and Singapore and/or Malaya.