We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Emily Mary JEWELL (née JONES)

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Greaves

Emily Mary JEWELL (née JONES)

Post by Greaves »

Edgar John JEWELL (beware that he seems to use his fore names randomly and that his surname is sometimes spelt as JOEL) was born in Siddington in 1849 to John and Caroline Jewell. In 1875 he married Emily Mary Jones in Cirencester. In 1881 he was living in Siddington, aged 31, working as an agricultural labourer with his widowed mother and his wife Emily (27), (RG11 2555 99 11). The couple have 5 children: Edith Alice (b 1877), Ada Priscilla (b 1879), Eva Eveleyn (b 1881), Samuel (b 1883) and Caroline Allen (b 1886). All five were born in Siddington.

By 1891 he his living in Oakle Street, Churchman, Westbury on Severn, aged 39, working as an agricultural labourer , with Clara Jewell (24), who is described as his second wife and was born in Chalford, (RG12 2007 101 5). I can find no record of Emily's death or any marriage to Clara.

By 1897, when his son William George was born in Sudeley, Edgar was living with Mary Amos (née Harwood). Mary might have been a third "wife" or may have been the same person as Clara. On balance it would seem likely that she was a different person, as in 1891, Clara who was born in Charford was living with Edgar in Westbury on Severn, and Mary who was born in Whitminster was in Eastlington Workhouse. I can find no record of a marriage to Mary Amos or Harwood.

John Edgar died in Cheltenham in 1904. He was survived by Mary, who re-married in 1909 to Charles Barnes.

What I would like to understand is what happened to Emily Mary JEWELL (née JONES). She was born in Cirencester on 08 Sep 1854 to Samuel and Joanna JONES. In 1851 and 1861, before her marriage, she is living with her parents in Cirencester. After the 1881 census, she just disappears.
KayFarndon

Re: Emily Mary JEWELL (née JONES)

Post by KayFarndon »

On the FreeBMD site there is the death of an Emily Jewell in the June Quarter of 1891 and she was aged 37, making her birth year 1854.

I suspect you would have to send for the death certificate as registrars are not allowed to give out information. This is the nearest match I could find and hope it helps.
Greaves

Post by Greaves »

Kay

Many thanks for this. It is certainly worth investigating and I will send for the certificate. I will let you know of the outcome.
Greaves

Post by Greaves »

Sadly not the Emily I was searching for. This Emily was married to a Frederick Jewell, lived in Southampton and died of Typhoid.

So I still have no idea of what happened to Emily. I wonder if her death is recorded under a misspelling. The Jewells were often recorded as Joels. I wonder if there is some other variation that I haven’t considered.
sdup26

Post by sdup26 »

This is a long shot, but on the Bristol census for 1901, there's a patient in the local asylum listed only as EM, born in 1854, with surname unknown. Is it possible that following the birth of Caroline in 1886, Emily Mary suffered post-natal depression? When this was severe, it wasn't unknown for sufferers to be committed, rather than given the medical treatment that would be usual today. It could explain why Edgar didn't marry Clara or Mary Amos - it would have been illegal if his wife was still living.
Greaves

Post by Greaves »

Interesting. I had thought of this solution before, indeed I think might also be the answer to another of my "disappearing" relatives/

I am, however, having trouble locating the entry you found. Can you give a more detailed reference?

If I can locate the name of the institution, I might try and contact them via e-mail, to see if there are any records.

What institutions would some one living in the Cirencester area be committed to? Bristol seems a little far. but a nearer institution might well be relevant.
sdup26

Post by sdup26 »

I hope this helps:
1901 Census, England
RG 13
Piece No 2397
Folio 159
page 26
Parliamentary Borough or Division: Bristol Northern
Municipal Borough/Ward: Stapleton
Ecclesiastical parish/district: St Mary Fishponds

I agree it's a long shot, but I couldn't find anything else that might relate to Emily Mary!
Greaves

Post by Greaves »

I have now found the record and agree that, whilst a long shot, it could be Emily/ I will contact Bristol Archives and see what I can find.

Many thanks.