We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Missing from 1881 census

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
meekhcs

Missing from 1881 census

Post by meekhcs »

I am sure I asked this question years ago on the old Forum with no luck, so forgive me if I revisit now as this is niggling me! Fresh eyes are always useful.

William Thomas Parmiter, my husband's Great Grandfather
bn 2 October 1858 Ansty Farm, Alton, Hampshire. His Father Thomas William worked at Alton Railway Station.

8th June 1877 William had an accident at Wey Ironworks Alton, arm crushed but saved by surgeon (Article Hampshire Advertiser 16 June 1877)

He then moves to Southampton at I have found the following to records for him
18 March 1879 employed at Northam Railworks in Southampton as a Fitters Inspector, resigned 16 June 1880
27 Feb 1882 re employed at Northam Railway Works in Southampton as a Railway Fitter, resigned 2 Aug 1882
Sadly neither record has an address.

June 1884 he marries Ada Blench in Southampton. He gives his abode as 102 Bevois Street and she 3 Bevois Street in the St Mary's area of Southampton

I have researched William thoroughly but have been unable to find him in 1881, and what was he doing between the spells at Northam Works?
In 1881 his Family have moved from Alton to Spetisbury in Dorset where his Father was the Station Master.

Any help appreciated

Thank you
Sally
paulr1949

Re: Missing from 1881 census

Post by paulr1949 »

Hmm. Certainly can't immediately find a census record, even using Parm*t*r (which I'm sure you've done!)
The only thing I found was that there is a private tree on ancestry which seems to have some records.sources attached (Jopling and Barnell) - it might be worth contacting the owner, although he doesn't appear to have logged in for a while.
Paul
meekhcs

Re: Missing from 1881 census

Post by meekhcs »

Sadly the owner of this Tree has passed away
Sally