We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Amended death certificate

A space for genealogy-related conversations.
Thunder

Amended death certificate

Post by Thunder »

I came across this case (file RG 48/385 from 1928 at TNA). It is about changing a death certificate for the death of Harry Pace who death was attributed to his wife (Beatrice Ann Pace), who was subsequently acquitted of his death by arsenical poisoning. The death certificate then had the certificate changed to omit reference to “murdered by Beatrice Ann Pace” in the cause of death column. There was however some doubt over whether the Coroner's death certificate would need to be changed.
Norfolk Nan

Re: Amended death certificate

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Out of curiosity, if someone was eventually convicted of that death would the certificate be amended again?

And is this always recorded on the death certs of murder victims?
AdrianBruce

Post by AdrianBruce »

Hm - I strongly suspect that this is one for Antony M!

Just seems rather strange to me that the initial DC should explicitly say "Murdered by..." rather than "Allegedly ..." After all, if the wheels of justice haven't ground at all, then documenting a guilty party seems ... odd.
Adrian Bruce
Guy

Post by Guy »

If there was cause to suspect the person had died due to the intentional actions of another the death would not be registered until after the inquest.
For example my father-in-law (who had an existing heart problem) was assulted by a man and died shortly after. His death certificate states he died 11 February 1994 but his death was not registered until 16th November 1994, I should also mention his body was not released for burial until after the inquest, buried 25 Nov 1994.
The death certificate notes "Certificate received from on Inquest, adjourned, Certificate received from Coroner 11 November 1994"
Underlined words scored through and Coroner's name added after the word Cornoner.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
AntonyM

Post by AntonyM »

For any death that goes to inquest, the cause of death is recorded as whatever the coroner decides it should be - the registrar has no leeway to make any alteration to the exact wording the coroner uses. Sounds like an unusual case and I would expect there to be some discussion between the RG and the coroner about any changes thought necessary - however it would be possible for the coroners court to reach a verdict that someone was responsible for a death, and for that person to then later be acquitted at criminal court.

As Guy points out, the death can't be registered until after the inquest is concluded, which historically wasn't usually an issue but now can be months, or occasionally years, after the event. The coroner will usually issue an interim certificate ( of Fact of Death) to allow the practicalities of the funeral/estate to go ahead, and will also decide when the body can be released. In most cases there isn't an issue, but if there is a possibility of criminal proceedings, that can delay things.
Professional Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar