We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

FamilySearch Trees

A space for genealogy-related conversations.
Norfolk Nan

FamilySearch Trees

Post by Norfolk Nan »

I know many here use FamilySearch so can I ask if it is beneficial to create a tree on the site? I don't know the site very well and tend not to create trees elsewhere but wonder if I'm missing a useful tool?

Thank you.
AdrianBruce

Re: FamilySearch Trees

Post by AdrianBruce »

You don't create a tree on FamilySearch - you add your stuff to "the World Tree". It's just one single tree, with the ultimate aim of one profile per person who ever lived (that's not suggesting anyone thinks that's possible, but it's the easiest way to say it).

If your relatives are already on, you link the rest of your stuff to them, correct the bits that are wrong and wonder how on earth other people got that into their heads. And then someone goes and alters your stuff because they trust Aunty Nelly's bits of paper.

So no, you're not missing anything by steering clear of the "family tree" element of FamilySearch.
Adrian Bruce
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Oooh, put like that I don’t think so either :shock: Thanks Adrian!
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Whilst I don’t disagree with Adrian’s comments about the tree on Familysearch in general, I do find that the information in it can come in handy. Like any tree on-line, I always tread very carefully when using any information found there.

Only recently I found a branch of my tree in Tasmania, after one of mine was transported. This particular branch on Familysearch was well sourced, with lots of official images of births, marriages and deaths.

I doubt I would have found this information without Familysearch Tree to guide me!
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

A point worth considering, thanks Mick.
AdrianBruce

Post by AdrianBruce »

Mick Loney wrote: 05 Sep 2022, 06:58 Whilst I don’t disagree with Adrian’s comments about the tree on Familysearch in general, I do find that the information in it can come in handy. ...
I'd agree with you. I'll look anywhere for hints - Ancestry, FamilySearch, Google, etc. In fairness to myself, I was just trying to answer the specific question without expanding layer upon layer.

One argument that I've seen advanced for the use of FamilySearch FamilyTree is that it provides a means of preserving your data. Right now, if any of us shuffle off the proverbial mortal coil tonight, how much of our research will survive? I have just two lines documented in a Wordpress free-site. The idea would be that I load my data into FS FT. The issue there is that those waving Aunt Nelly's papers can alter my stuff.

However, the facility exists to somehow load a GEDCOM into the FamilySearch Genealogies site where it will remain untouched, in read-only mode - even you can't update it - but it can be seen via the Search / Genealogies option (that also gives a link to load it). But let me emphasise that's not a tree-building facility, it's an archival facility.
Adrian Bruce
Guy

Post by Guy »

Familysearch was one of the original sites where an individual could upload/create and online family tree. It is still possible to do this today rather than add to the Family Search Family Tree, look under Genealogies - https://www.familysearch.org/search/genealogies
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Thanks, Guy :D
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

I'm thinking about visiting the nearest FH Centre to access more FamilySearch records - I've never been, has anyone here? Anything I should be aware of or ought to bear in mind?

Thank you.
Guy

Post by Guy »

I would recommend you do so without worrying, each family history center is slightly different as each is funded by the LDS church members in that particular stake.
No matter which centers you visit they will help you with any questions you have, in the same way as a librarian will help you in any UK library.
It is against the LDS rules for then to try to proselytise see:-
https://tinyurl.com/3vycr2ry
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.