We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Apprentice Records

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Norfolk Nan

Apprentice Records

Post by Norfolk Nan »

I've found an entry for an apprenticeship that is noted 'entry struck through'. Does this suggest the arrangement was terminated and not completed?

Thank you.
AdrianBruce

Re: Apprentice Records

Post by AdrianBruce »

It might be easier to tell us how to find the entry - assuming it's online, of course - then we can see the context.

Clearly something is going on there to remove something, but it might not be a case of apprenticeship not being completed if the entry refers to duty to be paid (for example) because, IIRC, apprenticeships made under the Poor Law were not subject to duty - so a possible explanation there might be an apprenticeship initially recorded as subject to duty then corrected to not due. It all depends....
Adrian Bruce
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Thanks, Adrian. I’ve only seen an indexed reference on the SoG website and couldn’t see the original. However, I’ll take another look and will be back with a link …

The reference is to William Scoles and is an apprenticeship to William Corrok, musician, dated 1796. This is the FMP link
https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript ... 364423%2F1 (sorry, the best I can do!) I don't know if this is my chap who ended his life as a master tailor.

I looked at the SoG index and its exactly the same - I guess I'd need to go to their site in Holloway to see the original.
AdrianBruce

Post by AdrianBruce »

I would think that the originals are at Kew - all SoG did was index them - see the FMP bit The National Archives reference (IR 1 series) 37 f 17

However, you can get the image of the original for free from TNA. Go to TNA Catalogue, and request details of: IR 1/37

Download that - you only need "IR-1-37_1.pdf (Images 1 - 48)"

Your chap is on Image 34 of 48 (which is folio 17). Unfortunately, there is zero clue why the entry has been lined through. (The same Apprentice Duties images are on Ancestry but they haven't indexed him because he's been lined through!)

Now, can I suggest that you might want to do a similar download for IR 1/35, where you need image 205 (for folio 103) - no idea what TNA part it is because I'm looking at Ancestry "UK, Register of Duties Paid for Apprentices' Indentures, 1710-1811" - where you have, down at the bottom of the page nearly, William Scoles apprenticed to Isaac Akerman, Citizen & Merchant Taylor ;) of London, payment date 3 Apr 1792, I think for 7y from that date.
Adrian Bruce
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Thank you Adrian. Much appreciated :D