We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Will Query

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Mick Loney

Re: Will Query

Post by Mick Loney »

Just to put the cat among the pigeons, were you aware there was another Joseph Sparshott Loney?
I fond a burial record for him on 3 Sep 1786, in Holborn. He was from Barnards Inn
Can't be too many with sparshott as their middle name, I wonder if they are related?
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Now that's interesting :shock: I don't know who he is or how he is related but I'd be surprised if he isn't connected with 'my' JSL. Will have to do some digging about...
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Couple of brief mentions for JSL on London Lives. Looks like he's the witness in some bastardy and settlement cases.

https://www.londonlives.org/browse.jsp? ... #highlight

https://www.londonlives.org/browse.jsp? ... #highlight
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Thanks Mo. I guess that’s witness to the swearings, not the acts!
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

As regards that 1786 Holborn burial that Mick mentioned, there is a 1785 baptism record for a Joseph Sparshot Lony.
Parents: Thomas & Hannah. Birth place: Chancery Lane. Residence: St. Dunstan in the West.

Parents must be the Thomas Loney and Hannah Phillips who married in 1774. Place: St Bride. Could the JSL above also be the 1786 burial?

There is another son, baptised 1778 in Holborn, named Thomas Le Tillier Phillips Loney.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

I have a baptism record for Margaret, JSL’s daughter, that is recorded at the Huguenot Church, Threadneedle Street which shows the names in French and Loney as Lannay. That sort of links to Le Tillier and hints at origins.
Last edited by Norfolk Nan on 22 Sep 2022, 11:21, edited 1 time in total.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

There's a Dec 1787 newspaper mention for a Thomas Loney: "BANKRUPTS - Thomas Loney, late of Barnard's Inn, Holborn, Money Scrivener. To appear..."

I wonder if he was a bail bondsman? :lol:
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

:lol: :lol:

Interesting stuff, Mo. Thank you.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Money scriveners are mentioned quite a lot in 18th century court proceedings. Looks like they handled bail for crims.
Last edited by VALLMO9 on 21 Sep 2022, 22:50, edited 1 time in total.
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

There’s a nice image of a scrivener here: :lol:

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/742448