We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Will Query

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
VALLMO9

Re: Will Query

Post by VALLMO9 »

He looks a bit dodgy to me. :lol:
This article provides insight on the role of money scriveners and attorneys back in the day:
https://scrivener-notaries.org.uk/history/
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

I just spotted the date for the image Decmeber. Who proof read the page?
Thunder

Post by Thunder »

VALLMO9 wrote: 21 Sep 2022, 19:54 Money scriveners are mentioned quite a lot in 18th century court proceedings. Looks like they handled bail for crims.
The function of a money scrivener was to arrange loans for people. That may also include bail I would thought but not exclusive.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Thank you all.

Mick, I'm sure I can see a family resemblance :lol: :lol: :lol:

I confess I don't know a great deal about the Loney side of this branch. They seem an 'interesting' lot so perhaps it's time to give them some of my attention. To have a money scrivener in the family makes a change from so many labourers. It also makes a change to have family members who leave wills - they are as rare as hens teeth in my tree. I've also discovered several side-shoot individuals who were granted Freedom of the City of London in relation to occupations which is great! More colour and context for my family story.

Thanks again for all the help - I'm very grateful.