We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Robert Brent M.D (1819-1872)

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Mick Loney

Robert Brent M.D (1819-1872)

Post by Mick Loney »

On 15th April 1845, Robert Brent, Gentleman, son of Isaac Brent Gentleman, married Louisa Fox, daughter of John Fox, Gentleman. The marriage took place at St Mary, Lambeth. One of the witnesses Was Esther Head, Louisa's older sister, who was married to Hugh Somerfield Head

On 8th May 1846, Robert Brent, Physician, son of Isaac Brent Gentleman, married Annie Louisa Fox, daughter of John Fox, Gentleman. The marriage took place in St Mary, Swansea. One of the witnesses was again Esther Head. The only link to Swansea was because Esther's husband Hugh died there in 1829, although Esther had moved to Belgravia by 1841.

1851 census show couple as Robert & Louisa, but from 1861 she was shown as Annie or Annie Louisa!

This seems to be same couple, why did they marry twice, both by Licence?
Are Louisa and Annie Louisa the same person?
The couple were both shown as single and of full age in both marriages.
jonwarrn

Re: Robert Brent M.D (1819-1872)

Post by jonwarrn »

Hi
Announcement of the second marriage in 1846 is in a good few newspapers
i.e.
May 8, at St. Mary's, Swansea, by the Rev. Francis W Moore, M.A., Robert Brent, Esq., M.D., of Woodbury, Devon, and son of Isaac Brent, Esq., of Bath, to Anne, daughter of John Fox, Esq., of Sittingbourne, Kent.

But I can't see anything for the first one in 1845! Were they keeping it quiet?
Licence for that was issued by the Faculty Office.
https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript ... 103825%2F2
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

jonwarrn wrote: 15 Jan 2023, 12:38
But I can't see anything for the first one in 1845! Were they keeping it quiet?
Licence for that was issued by the Faculty Office.
https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript ... 103825%2F2
Not that I’m aware of. It was the first one that came up on Ancestry, but I was looking for Louisa Fox, not Annie Louisa Fox.
I found the Swansea one, when looking for an image of their marriage in the PR’s, using Robert Brent as the search criteria, and just stumbled across it.
I’ll have to renew my FMP subscription, and look for the Licences, and newspaper reports of the marriages which others have mentioned.

BTW Someone else has suggested he was in the army, and first marriage was done without permission, so married again to ‘legalise’ it in the eyes of the Army.
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

Mrs Brent seems to have married again, much later!
10 October 1892, Woodbury, Devon
Thomas Spencer, of full age, Widower, Gentleman, residence Topsham
+
Annie Louisa Brent, of full age, Widow, residence Woodbury, father John Easton Fox, Gentleman.

Robert Brent had some sort of military connection, at least, according to the report in the Exeter Flying Post, 15 October 1892 (attached)
Perhaps he had a good write up when he died.
Do we know when Annie Louisa died?
Louisa Fox is an unrounded 26 years old in 1841 in the census you found with Esther Head
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... -13G2-KWQV
Attachments
Exeter Flying Post, 15 October 1892.JPG
Exeter Flying Post, 15 October 1892.JPG (87.31 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Jonwarrn,
Many thanks for the clipping.
I was aware of her marriage to Thomas Spencer, but not the article. It also makes it clear about Roberts millitary background. I will need to dig further
Just googled Colonel Robert Brent, Woodbury, and came across this article, which actually contained a photo of Robert - Success
http://www.woodburyhistorysociety.co.uk ... _7_web.pdf
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

Great find!
What a splendid photograph of Colonel Brent, must be one of the earliest in that booklet (which has a wonderful collection of Woodbury folk)
paulr1949

Post by paulr1949 »

jonwarrn wrote: 15 Jan 2023, 17:08 Great find!
What a splendid photograph of Colonel Brent, must be one of the earliest in that booklet (which has a wonderful collection of Woodbury folk)
I agree, a great selection of photos. Mick, did you spot the one of the vicar’s son, Robert Medley Fulford on p8?
Paul