We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Better tables for researchers at TNA

A space for genealogy-related conversations.
Thunder

Better tables for researchers at TNA

Post by Thunder »

Whilst I was at TNA last Thursday I overheard a member of staff saying that TNA telling people (?a tour) that later this year TNA would be putting new tables in for researchers so that they can look at documents and use laptops on the same table, this is something researchers have been asking TNA for about ten years!, these tables currently in use are the ones installed when the building was opened in 1977. Given that TNA have reduced the number of seats/lockers by half there can be no problem in that. I do however disagree what I heard from the member of staff that CCTV cameras are monitored by staff all the time, it didn't stop someone putting forged documents about the Second World War into original files without Security noticing and when the forgeries were found a few years ago by a researcher it was the first time TNA knew anything about it and it made news headlines as well as a forensic investigation.

Apparently TNA have said at a meeting of the ?User Advisory Group meeting in December 2022 (the minutes are due for release next month) that the 'glitch' (missing descriptions are now to be moved to 'the Cloud' in future) in the 'Discovery' catalogue involves only a few missing items, I have to totally disagree with that with only 95 out of 226 Treasury files listed for TNA being searchable and the 49 FO 950 (Nazi persecution files) not having descriptions nor are they searchable.