We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Match differences

Post here for your queries about DNA, or help fellow researchers understand theirs.
Norfolk Nan

Match differences

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Just wondered if anyone else had noticed differences in the number of cMs in some matches when an original test is uploaded to a second site?

I uploaded my Ancestry DNA test to MyHeritage and received another list of matches. Obviously some matches are on both sites but a few have significant discrepancies- one as much as a third less on the original Ancestry test. I’m sure there’s a good technical reason … can anyone explain?
AdrianBruce

Re: Match differences

Post by AdrianBruce »

Without plunging into reference material that I barely understood the first time round, I think that the answer that the matching process is a lot more complicated than just counting "the votes from the Norwegian Jury".... (Old TV phrase if it means nothing to you...) Each site has different algorithms for what - or perhaps where is a better word? - gets counted. Hence one site may count up 32 cM, another 48 cM.

Contradictions welcome!
Adrian Bruce
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Ah, that explains it: algorithms! And I thought it was a precise science… silly me! :D :D
AdrianBruce

Post by AdrianBruce »

If I recall correctly, I recently read that it's easy to get the wrong idea about the DNA differences between 2 human beans - you end up thinking that there is virtually nothing in common between you and your tenth cousin - but since so many bits of DNA do basically the same thing across all plants and animals, there's actually massive commonality across all living things - a simplistic view, for instance, says that we share 50% of our DNA with a banana. So DNA comparisons have to look in specific places and ignore the bits liable to be identical between all of us.
Adrian Bruce