We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Extra Disciplinary Records?

Post your queries about your military ancestors, or help fellow researchers find out about theirs.
Norfolk Nan

Extra Disciplinary Records?

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Can I ask if it's likely that records relating to disciplinary hearings exist? I've had individual service records recently and various disciplinary matters are mentioned so I'd like to know more. The charges resulted in time spent in military prison so would there be more information to track down? This was c1950.

Thank you.
Thunder

Re: Extra Disciplinary Records?

Post by Thunder »

You could look at the various Courts Martial records (some are however closed) at TNA. TNA had a research guide to Courts Martial records which might be useful. The more serious the offence the more likely there are files.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov. ... =1&_st=adv

In addition WO 71 (Judge Advocate General's Office: Courts Martial Proceedings and Board of General Officers' Minutes), again some of the records are closed.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Thanks Thunder. I guess repeatedly going AWOL is serious on some level so I'll take a look at the link.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

See also: https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hel ... centuries/
Bear in mind that any existing records for circa 1950 may be subject to a closure period of 100 years, etc.

I'm not an expert, but I think going AWOL is/was dealt with by commanding officers through a summary hearing. If a commanding officer dealing with an offence summarily finds the accused guilty, he can impose a term of detention in a unit guardhouse, or at a Military Corrective Training Centre (MCTC), of up to 28 days, or 90 days in serious cases, or a requirement to carry out extra work or drill, or loss of entitlement to leave. Alternatively he can impose a fine of up to 28 days' pay, or another minor punishment. The afore-mentioned is for those in the lower ranks.

The average daily population of the military prison, detention barracks and corrective establishment in the UK during March, 1950, was 887.
This number included 227 men sentenced for desertion and 269 for absence. Overseas, the average number of prisoners in February, 1950, was 702.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Thanks Mo. Yes, I believe all that is right in this particular case and I wondered if any additional records might throw extra light on the events as there were a good handful in a relatively short space of time. Eventually there was a formal RCM, they must have got fed up with his behaviour and decided to let a higher power deal with him.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Norfolk Nan wrote: 17 Mar 2023, 20:17 Eventually there was a formal RCM, they must have got fed up with his behaviour and decided to let a higher power deal with him.
Regimental court martial (RCM)
The regimental court martial was used for ranks other than commissioned officers who were charged with lesser offences. They may be noted in war diaries, but no records were sent to the Judge Advocate General’s Office. Some of the records of these courts may survive among the records preserved by individual regiments.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Thanks again. It looks like I shall be asking the Royal Engineers if they can help…