We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

WDYTYA 2023 Series

A space for genealogy-related conversations.
phsvm

WDYTYA 2023 Series

Post by phsvm »

The line up for this year's Who Do You Think You Are TV series have just been announced and there are 9 episodes, so a bumper year.

They are:

Composer Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber
Actress Claire Foy
Adventurer Bear Grylls.
Professional dancer Kevin Clifton
Identical twins, medical doctors and science broadcasters Chris and Xand van Tulleken
Actress and comedian Emily Atack
Radio DJ Dev Griffin
Actor, comedian and presenter Chris Ramsey
Actress Lesley Manville

Like them or loathe them ( or have no idea who they are) they will all have interesting stories to uncover.
AdrianBruce

Re: WDYTYA 2023 Series

Post by AdrianBruce »

phsvm wrote: 05 May 2023, 10:05... Identical twins, medical doctors and science broadcasters Chris and Xand van Tulleken ...
I would really like those two to have their DNA done to see what happens when their results are compared! (And I imagine they could discuss any differences. Or lack therefore?)
Adrian Bruce
Thunder

Post by Thunder »

An interesting list, I too know few of them but I hope they don 't go down the DNA route. My maternal grandfather was a twin and I just accept that. I have yet to see anyone with IVF parentage (not me) on the series and how they deal with that. Do we have a broadcast date?.
paulr1949

Post by paulr1949 »

We’ll I’ve heard of 3 of them😊😮
Paul
phsvm

Post by phsvm »

The BBC have confirmed the series is due to start sometime in June.
Thunder

Post by Thunder »

Nul points for the BBC Scotland website for revealing the well-known ancestor of Bear Grylls!. Just let us look at the programmes, please!.
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Thunder wrote: 26 May 2023, 02:53 Nul points for the BBC Scotland website for revealing the well-known ancestor of Bear Grylls!. Just let us look at the programmes, please!.
That’s typical BBC! BBC Wales are forever advertising new series and practically give the whole plot away. On their current drama series ‘Steel Town Murders’, which is based on 30 year old murders, yet they still felt the need to spend 10 minutes on a live News programme, explaining the whole plot, (unlike a website, one could not avoid reading the articlet!) As you say, why can’t they just let us see for ourselves?
Thunder

Post by Thunder »

I was getting bored with Andrew Lloyd Webber's episode and almost fell asleep. It seemed that most of it (but not all) was about a family in 'high circles' and not the rest of us. I hope the series gets better.
Hardwork

Post by Hardwork »

Horses for courses. I often get more bored by the episodes stuck in the mid to late 19th and early 20th centuries, which seem to make up the majority of episodes. Lord Webber's episode was a good balance, I'd say, of eras and social class.
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

I too enjoyed this episode, nice mixture. I was surprised that no-one mentioned the striking resemblance of Andrew’s daughter to the photo of his grandmother ( or was it Greatgrandmother?), as to me they had an uncanny likeness.

It would have rounded off the programme nicely if his brother Julian had been shown playing some of their ancestor’s music, especially as it was written for the Cello!