We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Trooper Wm Laskey (3345): Kitchener’s Horse

Post your queries about your military ancestors, or help fellow researchers find out about theirs.
Kiwi1948

Trooper Wm Laskey (3345): Kitchener’s Horse

Post by Kiwi1948 »

I have come across some memorabilia relating to a UK trooper named William Laskey (3345)
From what I can ascertain Laskey served in South Africa under Kitchener’s Horse, emigrating to New Zealand about 1902. The memorabilia consists of his portrait, discharge certificate and two military medals relating to the Bechuananland Campaign and Relief of Kimberley.
When he died in 1935, he was interred in the Karori Cemetery Wellington, New Zealand. At the time it was reported that he had no known relatives living in New Zealand.
Hopefully a forum member might be able to put me in touch with a descendent of this man as I would love to return the items to the family.
Mick Loney

Re: Trooper Wm Laskey (3345): Kitchener’s Horse

Post by Mick Loney »

It would be helpful if you can give his age when he died, would make searching for him easier. Hopefully NZ death certificate or burial register entry would state his age.
Kiwi1948

Post by Kiwi1948 »

Oops….sorry, missed out a sentence from my original post. According to the cemetery entry he was aged 59. That would put his birth year about1876
Kiwi1948

Post by Kiwi1948 »

Memorabilia has now been donated to the British War Museum, London