We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Davisons MIA

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Norfolk Nan

Davisons MIA

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Apologies for yet another Davison cry for help...

Richard Thomas born 15 June 1847, baptised 6 July 1847 at St Lukes Chelsea
Elizabeth Charlotte baptised 7 May 1849 at St Paul's, Wilton Place, Knightsbridge, on 1851* census with parents and a younger sister
Annie Catherine born 9 May 1858, baptised 14 October 1858 at St Barnabas, Westminster

Parents Henry Augustus Davison and wife Elizabeth Martha nee Webb. The couple had 8 children but the others are accounted for. The details above are all I have for these individuals - I've scoured the census*, burial indexes and registers, marriage indexes without success. Parents married in 1845 but both are missing from the 1841 census. The 1861 census for Pimlico is missing and the 1871 shows the parents and one child (Henry). I've tried variations on Davison, variations on first names.

I'm filling in gaps so any help would be very useful, thank you.
VALLMO9

Re: Davisons MIA

Post by VALLMO9 »

Norfolk Nan wrote: 13 Aug 2023, 15:44 Parents married in 1845 but both are missing from the 1841 census.
If either parent was residing in St Luke in 1841 there are missing census pieces for the St Luke parish. Townships include: West Finsbury, Golden-Lane, Old Street, and Whitecross-Street. Also, some missing census pieces for Brompton, Kensington in 1841.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Elizabeth originated from Worcestershire so no idea when she arrived in London, she wasn’t with her parents in 1841 so who knows - I tried all combinations Of name and birthplace. Henry had lost both parents, had no siblings so was a young single man and could have been anywhere. The 1841 census doesn’t give much info so it’s not so important in the grand scheme. The lost 1861 census for Pimlico is very annoying, though! :evil:
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

From your notes above I presume that Richard Thomas Davison (born 1847) isn't with his family in 1851? Have you checked all possible deaths for him in the Chelsea area from 1847-1851? Obviously you'd need to cross-refence possible deaths with the online GRO index (in order to ascertain ages).

Also, check for Chelsea St Luke burial records on FamilySearch - in the Middlesex collections.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Richard Thomas is missing from the 1851 census and he's not with relatives either. I assume he died because he is nowhere else to be found and the couple named a later child Thomas, but of course that's no guarantee. I've checked the GRO and scoured the burial registers for all the churches used by the family and used the wider search option for the general area. I've even transposed his names, just in case. No sign.

I've read that babies who died very soon after birth were sometimes economically buried with other burials without the benefit of a service for them individually - I wonder if this was the case. Registration was still a bit hit and miss and if the sexton said 'I'll do it, wink wink' then the need for a death cert could be overlooked. All a bit mercenary but if times where hard... anyway, that's speculation.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Also, the Registration Act 1836 did not require the cause of death to be certified by a medical practitioner, and stillbirths often went unrecorded. This was because until the Medical Register Act of 1858, doctors' qualifications were not defined, and so proper medical certification was impossible.

The Births and Deaths Registration Act of 1874 tightened obvious loopholes. The doctor looking after someone during their last illness was required to certify the cause of death. However, burial could still take place before a death certificate had been issued.
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

Norfolk Nan wrote: 13 Aug 2023, 15:44 on 1851* census with parents and a younger sister
Younger sister's baptism at St. Barnabas, Pimlico, 5 January 1851
Born 30 December 1850
Sarah
Parents Henry + Elizabeth Davison
Abode Crawleys yard
Father a Carter

So, maybe this death in 1850?
DAVIS, RICHARD THOMAS
Age at Death (in years): 3
GRO Reference: 1850 D Quarter in SAINT GEORGE HANOVER SQUARE Volume 01 Page 2

Burial at St. George Hanover Square, 13 October 1850
Richard Thomas Davis
Abode Crawlings yard
Age 3y 6m

Another St George burial book has him as Richd Thos Davis, Crowleys(?) yard Pimlico
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Thank you! It’s so confusing when Davison is interchanged with Davis! To make it even more confusing Ancestry now has a hint for an electoral roll entry for a Richard Thomas Davison in 1889 in St Margaret’s Westminster. The Pimlico address seems to be the clincher and my feeling was Richard had died and here’s proof. Thank you.

One down, two to go.

Thank you, everything much appreciated.
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

Hi
An 1841 possibility? Though impossible to know for sure.
In Battersea, Surrey
Henry Davidson, 20, Not Born County
Male Servant. I guess to John Taylor, Cowkeeper.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQK4-Y23

Battersea is good for Chelsea (and Pimlico) Just the other side of the river.
In fact, even better, looking at the ED description, he is right in the area of Battersea Bridge (the earlier one in the same place!) Chelsea is opposite.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Thank you again. Yes, good connection with area. That extra D always has me scowling as does the lack of an ON after Davis. But then Henry’s future daughter in law managed five different ways to spell the family name on one document!

The family lived in Chelsea for a very long time before slipping into Pimlico then over that bridge to Battersea. I suspect it was part of the grand plan to move the poor to make way for more posh folk.

Thanks again, as ever very much appreciated.