We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

1871 census - faint image

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
VALLMO9

1871 census - faint image

Post by VALLMO9 »

Several years ago I finally found my direct ancestor in the 1871 census, with incorrect surname. I won't say "mis-transcribed" because the image is so faint it's virtually unreadable online. I flagged up the issue to both Ancestry and FMP, but had no response from either at the time.

Can anyone make out any of the the occupations for this 1871 page? Apparently it's Nightingale Street (now Gateforth Street).
I'm hoping the page will eventually be re-scanned from the original book, and will appear on Ancestry or FMP in the near future. :roll:

Registration district: Marylebone
Sub-registration district: St John
ED, institution, or vessel: 2
Household schedule number: 533
Piece: 181
Folio: 86
Page number: 86
GSU roll: 823307
paulr1949

Re: 1871 census - faint image

Post by paulr1949 »

The image in the Genealogist is a bit better!
Patrick Welsh is a labourer
Richard Taylor ditto
Rochard Connor - tailor
William Smith - wheelwright
Henry Skinner - possibly a knife maker
Robert Wardle - plasterer
Emily Hooper - laundress
HTH
Paul
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Many thanks, Paul! :D Are you able to work out who Robert Wardle (plasterer) is lodging with? And their address at Nightingale Street?
paulr1949

Post by paulr1949 »

32 Nightingale Street with William Smith, wheelwright. Henry Skinner is also a lodger
Paul