We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

1921 census

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
KayFarndon

1921 census

Post by KayFarndon »

I have a copy of an entry which states that it was recorded in Lincoln Street, Bulkington, Warwickshire. To my knowledge there has never been a street of that name in this village and it should read Church Street and I am assuming it is an enumerator's error. Has anyone else found anomalies in the 1921 census please? The occupants are certainly correct, but the address suspicious.
KayFarndon

Re: 1921 census

Post by KayFarndon »

Another error has cropped up with this census and a visitor to the household has an incorrect second Christian name. He is listed as William Toskley Howkins and the name should be Stockley. He was an engineer, but no employer, so no idea why he was there.
I am really interested to hear if anyone has also come across errors in this census.
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

As a generalisation you will come across discrepancies in this census just as you will in any other transcriptions. It is so much easier when you know what the record should say than if you are reading it "blind". I always look at the original record but even then people filling out the forms make errors, or use local descriptions of places.
Sally
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Looking at the GB1900 map for Bulkington most street names are places eg Coventry and Leicester but Lincoln isn't on there and neither is Church. Not all roads have been identified.

There is a community Forum on Facebook who may be able to offer some help.
Sally
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Looking at the original entry it reads Leicester Street and not Lincoln Street.
Sally
KayFarndon

Post by KayFarndon »

Thank you meekhcs, this is definitely correct, as Leicester Street is still here.
devonliz

Post by devonliz »

I couldn't find my village at all in the 1921 census - looked up my house and discovered that the village name had been mis-transcribed (using sc instead of x) - so I submitted error reports for several of the houses, all of which were politely acknowledged and changed. I haven't looked subsequently to see if all addresses in the village have been similarly altered!
I have looked at other addresses (and names) that I know personally, and in almost every case I have had to send in error reports - sometimes it's a silly mis-spelling of a name or job description, as well as addresses. Perhaps, if everyone corrected a few errors, I might eventually be able to find that elusive great-uncle who is there in 1911 and 1939, but disappears in 1921!