We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Ancestry transcriptions

A space for genealogy-related conversations.
PatsyAlice

Ancestry transcriptions

Post by PatsyAlice »

I do sometimes wonder how anyone finds anybody on Ancestry. I thought I would have another go at my Mills ancestors in Gloucester - a totally fruitless task. I was trying for a William Mills born around 1700. The first one I looked at may or may not have been Mills - without tracking through the register to try and find a clearer entry for the parents it is hard to tell. The next one I looked at was supposed to be a William baptised in August which turned out to be a Miriam baptised in November. At that point I gave up. There are a lot of Mills in Gloucestershire and it has become increasingly difficult as I have gone back. I do transcribing for FreeReg myself so I am fully aware of all the difficulties. We are told to put what we see which is fine for me as some of the spelling is so random that it is hard to know what is meant. I am currently doing part of a register which is very poorly spelled although the writing is good. I have to hope that with soundex some of the names will show up but I am doubtful. I know this is a contentious issue. I suppose I should send a correction for William/Miriam but I get fed up with correcting things.
Thunder

Re: Ancestry transcriptions

Post by Thunder »

I have sympathy for you, ancestry do make a lot of errors (not as bad as TNA or FMP), alas some errors cannot be corrected because there is no drop-down menu. Alas all you can do is ask for an amendment, however FMP STILL haven't amended my grandfather's name in the 1921 Census despite my sending in the amendment in January 2022!.
PatsyAlice

Re: Ancestry transcriptions

Post by PatsyAlice »

I went back to see if I could post a correction as I had the feeling I couldn't but despite using the same search criteria I cannot replicate the results and am only finding baptisms in random places other than Gloucestershire so Miriam will have to remain William. I used to love Find my Past but then they re-jigged that and I cancelled my subscription. It is deeply frustrating. I have also found mistakes on TNA but so far they have eventually corrected them.