We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Cloumarsh, Ireland

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Norfolk Nan

Cloumarsh, Ireland

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Does anyone recognise the above please? It's place of birth for Thomas Ryan and family on the 1861 census for Isleworth but Google doesn't recognise it. All later census state 'Ireland'.

Thank you.
VALLMO9

Re: Cloumarsh, Ireland

Post by VALLMO9 »

Could it be Clonrush or Clonmulsk -- a civil parish in the barony of Leitrim, now in County Clare, Ireland.
AdrianBruce

Post by AdrianBruce »

Or Clonmelsh, a parish in Co. Carlow...

See https://www.dippam.ac.uk/eppi/documents ... ges/372923 for the page containing this one.
Adrian Bruce
Thunder

Post by Thunder »

Ancestry have a number of records (on Fold 3 transcriptions, i have no access to the records) which suggests it was in Galway, or Tipperary or Queens County. There seems to be no records on the National Records of Ireland website. So it appears to be in Ireland but it may have an Irish Gaelic name.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Thanks! I guess it’s a phonetic spelling but it’s a start. Thank you.
avaline

Post by avaline »

A bit late in answering, sorry, but I've looked at a few of the Ancestry and Fold 3 records and I'd say the 'problem' is down to transcription errors caused by poor handwriting.

The Fold 3 records are mainly enlistments, which often include further information, and the correct place appears to be "the Parish of Clonrush in or near the town of Mountshannon in the County of Galway"

It is now in Clare, and Clare County Library confirm it was previously in Galway: https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... parish.htm
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Thank you everyone. The question came from the hunt for clues to the origins of an Irish family. All official docs record ‘Ireland’ so I wondered if finding out more about their Irish landlord (lodging house) and very close Irish neighbours (there were quite a few) might be useful. Wouldn’t you head to a place where you had some (tentative?) contacts if you were a stranger in town? Most came from the unhelpful ‘Ireland’ but a few were from Clare, Ireland or Galway, Ireland which is a start. So thank you for all replies :D