We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Errors in trees on subscription sites

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Brunes08

Errors in trees on subscription sites

Post by Brunes08 »

My gt grandparents separated but did not divorce. They had four children together, one being my grandmother My gt grandmother went off with another man and had two more children who were illegitimate. Straightforward as far as I am concerned that these other children were half siblings. All the family members are aware of these circumstances. However, how do I prevent MyHeritage from including these children as my gt grandfather’s. On top of this, they have added three more children with the same surname so giving him 9 children which is ridiculous. MyHeritage also keeps telling me I have anomalies in my tree which I know I haven’t. For example, they seem to think it impossible that two people with the same surname can be married. Yes, they can as I have more than one set of cousins marrying. They also do not seem to understand that it was quite common that if one child died young, the family may baptise the next one with the same name. I have all the certificates and other documents to support my tree. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Thunder

Re: Errors in trees on subscription sites

Post by Thunder »

Have you approached MyHeritage about this. Many years ago Scots Origins (predecessor to Scotland's People) said one on my ancestors (born 1833) was the mother of the youngest child (born 1871) in the family because there was a 38-year age gap whereas actually the father had 5 or 6 wives, one at a time, and had 14 children from 1815-1871.
AdrianBruce

Post by AdrianBruce »

Brunes08 wrote: 23 Nov 2023, 22:42... how do I prevent MyHeritage from including these children as my gt grandfather’s. On top of this, they have added three more children with the same surname so giving him 9 children which is ridiculous. ...
I don't know how MyHeritage works - can anyone say where they get their "tree" data like this from?
Adrian Bruce
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Brunes08 wrote: 23 Nov 2023, 22:42 On top of this, they have added three more children with the same surname so giving him 9 children which is ridiculous.
What do you think ridiculous, adding the 3 extra children or the thought of someone having 9 children?
I have plenty of families with 12 or more children, so not ridiculous to say he had 9, and not unusual for the time :lol:
Amazinggrace

Post by Amazinggrace »

I agree ,9 children is nothing. My late mother in Law was the youngest of 10.
She was an auntie before she was born as her eldest sister was already married with a child when she was born.
Grace :D
Brunes08

Post by Brunes08 »

Apologies for the delay in thanking you for your comments - I've been a bit tied up with other things. I didn't mean to imply that nine children was ridiculous. My comment was related to the fact that MyHeritage had found these additional children seemingly out of thin air. I have since found where they came from. MyHeritage has picked up a family with the same parents' names on a census but it is most definitely not my family - not the right place, nor the right ages or occupation etc. I've tried deleting the information but they keep putting it back. I'll try to make contact and sort it out.
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Brunes08, why worry about it?
I wouldn’t concern myself with things outside my control, I have better things to do :D

If I spot such errors in other peoples trees, I simply notify the owner once, then move on and forget about them.
To be honest, it’s a lost cause. Cure one and another will soon appear.

BTW I just found a new family in my tree, who had 13 children within a short period, most born only a year apart, and with no multiple births, she must have been permanently with child. :D