We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Birth of Robert Clothier

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
crane15

Birth of Robert Clothier

Post by crane15 »

Robert Clothier is my 5th Great Grandfather, I have information on his marriage on 3 Sep 1776 in Stoke Sub Hamdon, Somerset to Rosanna Johnson and also his death on 14 Jun 1781 in Stoke Sub Hamdon, Somerset. I have a brick wall on his birth, any information would be helpful.
Artognou

Re: Birth of Robert Clothier

Post by Artognou »

Hi, I did a quick search and only one return;

Name: Robert Clothier
Event Type: Baptism
Baptism Date: 7 Jun 1753
Baptism Place: North Cadbury, Somerset, England
Father: Wilm Clothier
Mother: Eliz Clothier

North Cadbury is extremely close to Stoke-sub-Hamdon.
Artognou

Post by Artognou »

Also, William and Elizabeth married at North Cadbury in 1747, her maiden name was Symes.
crane15

Post by crane15 »

Thank you for that information.
I have done another search and found a Robert Clothier baptised in Stoke sub Hamdon on 1 Jan 1764 the son of Andrew and Mary Clothier.
My problem now is which would be the correct Robert Clothier the one from Stoke sub Hamdon or the one from North Cadbury both in Somerset but about 15 miles a part.
Artognou

Post by Artognou »

The likely choice would be the Robert from North Cadbury, the Robert from Stoke-sub-Hamdon would probably be a bit too young, given the date of the marriage.
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Check if one of them died young. That would certainly eliminate him. :D
crane15

Post by crane15 »

They both die in 1781 Robert from North Cadbury died Nov 1781 and Robert from Stoke Sub Hamdon died 14 Jun 1781.
The Somerset England, Marriages Register, Bonds and Allegations 1754 - 1914 show the marriage of Robert Clothier and Rosanna Johnson as both of them coming from the some parish (Stoke Sub Hamdon).
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

The trouble with the parishes shown on their marriage, refers to where they were living at the time, sadly not where they were born. I’m sure some mention of age would have been made if the younger one was as young as he was. Often,allegations made note of the fathers names, I assume that isn’t the case here.
Are there marriages for the other individual, which may give clue to his parents, so he can be eliminated?
crane15

Post by crane15 »

Thanks for the information I will look at it all again and find the answer.
pinefamily

Post by pinefamily »

Do the burial records give ages for the two men? That would help eliminate one of them.