We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Bedminster parish records

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
VALLMO9

Bedminster parish records

Post by VALLMO9 »

Question: when faced with a prominent gap in 17th and 18th century parish records, what other avenues do you use to supplement your research?

Other than the usual (e.g. apprenticeships, wills, burial/memorial inscriptions, property leases), what other records have Forum members had proven success with, when trying to take your family further back?

My direct ancestor was born in Bedminster circa 1780, according to the 1851 census. He settled in Falkland, Hemington, Somerset, where it seems older kin (?) had been living since circa 1700. These older kin are noted as "gents" on documents I've seen from 1700-1775. However, my ancestor was an ag lab.

Unfortunately, Bedminster St John parish records have a lengthy gap from 1623/24 to 1806. So unless I stumble upon a record which confirms his father and/or mother, I can't take his line further back without any certainty. His 1808 marriage in Bristol records a male witness with the same surname, but I don't know if it's his brother, father, or an uncle. :?

My ancestor's surname was very common in Bristol region during the 17th-19th centuries. And the males recycled the same names: William, John, Samuel, and Joseph. So without my ancestor's baptism record, it's nigh on impossible to separate the wheat from the chaff. :roll:
Templ4r

Re: Bedminster parish records

Post by Templ4r »

I had a similar problem with the Hatchetts of Croxall. The registers have been scanned but don't start until the mid 1700s.

I downloaded a book from Archive.Org, The Parish of Croxall from the 1800s. It had a poor book and parish register transcribed from the 1600s. Be worth looking for something like that.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Thanks for the tip, Chris. But it's my understanding the Bedminster parish records gap is due to the church being burnt out in 1940, when it was hit by an incendiary bomb.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

I wish I had a useful bit of advice but I don’t. I’ve a few branches that were pushed back to the late 1600s with hardly any effort because the family stayed in one place and all the records were available. Other lines are much like your own - ag labs, common names, gaps in available records, dead ends :?
Templ4r

Post by Templ4r »

Bath and Avon FHS have baptisms, marriages and burials from 1754

https://bafhs.org.uk/wp-content/uploads ... ilable.pdf
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Vallm09
Many books on archive.org, were published well before 1940. So if someone did do a transcription and publish it, archive.org is a good place to look for a copy. Brigham Young library (The Mormons) have a large collection of such books available via the site.
PS Bishops Transcripts wouldn’t have been held at the church, so they may well have survived.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Templ4r wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 20:08 Bath and Avon FHS have baptisms, marriages and burials from 1754

https://bafhs.org.uk/wp-content/uploads ... ilable.pdf
Thanks, Chris. Website not currently accessible at the moment, but I'll keep trying. I may have already searched this site, but will try again as soon as it's loading.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Mick Loney wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 20:11 Many books on archive.org, were published well before 1940. So if someone did do a transcription and publish it, archive.org is a good place to look for a copy. PS Bishops Transcripts wouldn’t have been held at the church, so they may well have survived.
Thanks, Mick. I do search archive.org books, but will try again for this particular brick wall. I wonder where the BT's for Bedminster are kept?
Templ4r

Post by Templ4r »

Downloads are £7, CDS are £3. says the shop is open but no callers. It let me add to the basket..
Templ4r

Post by Templ4r »

The Genealogist say they have the transcriptions.

Give me a name and I'll see if he is there.