We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Ann Bell born 1780 – where & when did she die?

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
BeeJayEss

Ann Bell born 1780 – where & when did she die?

Post by BeeJayEss »

Ann Bell was born on 08 July 1780 at the British Lying-In Hospital, Holborn. She was baptised there on 13 July. Ann’s father was James, a tailor.

She married William Avent on 17 Apr 1797 at St Margaret Church, Westminster.

Ann gave birth to a daughter, Mary on 18 Jan 1798 at the British Lying-In Hospital, Holborn.

The following year on 17 May 1799, Ann had a boy called James. He too was born in the Holborn hospital and was baptised there on 22 May 1799.
Ann’s next baby was another boy, William, it is not known where or exactly when he was born but he was baptised at St Mary’s, Lambeth on 17 May 1801.

That is all I can find on Ann Bell but it seems she may have passed away sometime between 1801 and 1807 because on 10 Aug 1807 William Avent, a widower married Ann Nearne at St Dionis Backchurch.

I would really like to find a death/burial for Ann Avent (nee Bell).

One other piece of information I have that may, or may not, be relevant is that William Avent re-married Ann Nearne on 27 Mar 1826 at St Luke, Finsbury. This is definitely true as William mentioned in his will that he was twice married to his dear wife Ann Nearne. It could be possible that Ann Bell was still alive when he married Ann Nearne in 1807, (or perhaps her husband was still alive).

Any help tracing further records of Ann Bell/Avent will be gratefully received. Thanks.
Bev
Norfolk Nan

Re: Ann Bell born 1780 – where & when did she die?

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Hi Bee

I’m having trouble finding Ann Bell’s marriage. Have you found the actual marriage entry?

I found a death for an Ann Bell c1845 that tied up nicely with her non-conformist beginnings but unless the marriage to William wasn’t valid it must be someone else. The marriage entry would be very useful. I found the two for Ann Nearne - why? Any ideas?
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

I managed to find the marriage ... will keep digging for you :D
avaline

Post by avaline »

It’s interesting that there is a gap of almost 8 years between the last ‘sighting’ of Ann Bell and Thomas’s marriage to Ann Nearne. Perhaps she ran off without trace, leaving Thomas able to marry as a widow after 7-years. If he later discovered she was alive then his marriage to Ann Nearne would be void, so it would seem sensible to keep quiet until Ann Bell was dead, then have a second, ‘legal’ marriage to Ann Nearne.

There certainly seems to be a question mark over his first marriage to Ann Nearne as his will, when referring to their daughter, Mary Ann, says “I hereby declare that such bequest so made to and intended to be received held and enjoyed by my said daughter is so made and is intended to be received and held by her absolutely notwithstanding any question which may arise as to her legitimacy from my first marriage with my said late wife being declared(?) void or inoperative"

The reports of William’s death are rather sad. Mary Ann would still have got her inheritance though, no doubt.
BeeJayEss

Post by BeeJayEss »

Norfolk Nan wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 22:40 I managed to find the marriage ... will keep digging for you :D
Sorry Norfolk Nan, I've only just seen your reply.
Bev
BeeJayEss

Post by BeeJayEss »

avaline wrote: 22 Jun 2020, 00:47 It’s interesting that there is a gap of almost 8 years between the last ‘sighting’ of Ann Bell and Thomas’s marriage to Ann Nearne. Perhaps she ran off without trace, leaving Thomas able to marry as a widow after 7-years. If he later discovered she was alive then his marriage to Ann Nearne would be void, so it would seem sensible to keep quiet until Ann Bell was dead, then have a second, ‘legal’ marriage to Ann Nearne.

There certainly seems to be a question mark over his first marriage to Ann Nearne as his will, when referring to their daughter, Mary Ann, says “I hereby declare that such bequest so made to and intended to be received held and enjoyed by my said daughter is so made and is intended to be received and held by her absolutely notwithstanding any question which may arise as to her legitimacy from my first marriage with my said late wife being declared(?) void or inoperative"

The reports of William’s death are rather sad. Mary Ann would still have got her inheritance though, no doubt.
You echo my thoughts re the legality of the first marriage to Ann Nearne, hence dearly wanting to find a death for Ann Bell.

Poor William did meet a sad end, his daughter Mary Ann inherited most of his estate but in 1881 she admitted herself to the Raine Street Workhouse as she was destitute (perhaps she drank all William's wealth away).
Bev
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Given that William & Ann Avent's son William was baptised at St Mary’s, Lambeth on 17 May 1801, I'm wondering if Ann may have died there, too.

If so, online parish burial records are very limited for St Mary’s, Lambeth. Ancestry only have 1813-1928 index records for Lambeth St Mary's. Whereas there is a lot more online coverage for Lambeth All Saints, particularly for very early 19th-century burial index records.

Once they re-open, contact the LMA to ascertain if they hold Lambeth St Mary's parish records, circa 1800-1810.

According to the Surrey History Center:
"The inner London part of Southwark Diocese (the present London Boroughs of Lambeth, Southwark including Newington, and Wandsworth) is served by the London Metropolitan Archives. Bishop's Transcripts for parishes in both dioceses are also held there, with other records of the Archdeaconry of Surrey, but survival of the Bishop's Transcripts is poor".
BeeJayEss

Post by BeeJayEss »

VALLMO9 wrote: 28 Jun 2020, 21:29 Once they re-open, contact the LMA to ascertain if they hold Lambeth St Mary's parish records, circa 1800-1810.
Thank you VALLMO9, I will.
Bev
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

FMP have a St Mary, Lambeth burials 1777-1838 collection. The records include transcripts created by the East Surrey Family History Society. There are 51,990 records in the collection. I searched for the surname AVENT (with variations), but no joy. It'll be interesting if the LMA hold additional burial records for St Mary (which the ESFHS don't have access to).