We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Charles Moah 3rd Battalion Royal Artillery

Post your queries about your military ancestors, or help fellow researchers find out about theirs.
meekhcs

Re: Charles Moah 3rd Battalion Royal Artillery

Post by meekhcs »

Given the unusual surname, and Chas being a shortened form of Charles, I think it is highly likely that it is. The RA were stationed in Malta for some time. The link below gives some detail. I flicked through quickly but didn't notice his name but it may give you some background.
www.maltaramc.com › regmltgar › royalart

The relevant Museum may be of help.
The Royal Artillery Museum: Homeroyalartillerymuseum.com

and finally TNA may have some info
Sally
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

From TNA only available at Kew on pre order

WO 69/103/325
Description:
Statements of Service, Royal Artillery 3 Battalion Numbers 2023 to 2493.

This entry appears on opening 329; this number is imprinted at the top right of each opening.

Soldier's Number 2348: Charles MOAH. Born Plumbland, Aspatrie, Cumberland. Enlisted 1847 aged 19 years. Discharged 1851. Discharge reason: Pension.

Covering dates indicate enlistment and discharge years.
Sally
AdrianBruce

Post by AdrianBruce »

I think that you'll very often find, particularly in those early years, that Royal Artillery records are treated differently from infantry and cavalry. Without delving deep, deep, deep into lots of books, I suspect that this is because the Royal Artillery and the infantry / cavalry - though all part of the British Army - were run by different organisations. The infantry / cavalry were run by the War Office and the artillery by the Board of Ordnance. Only later on did the War Office get to control the whole Army.

This may apply to the Royal Engineers as well, since they also came under the Board of Ordnance but I don't remember off-hand any highlighted differences.

Also, you may notice the use of the term Battalion for the Artillery in this thread, a term more common with the infantry, instead of Brigade or Battery. As I understand it, at one time the men and the guns could be controlled separately and if artillery units were in India (say) and reached the end of their tour of duty, the men would come home but the guns would remain out there, put into an Artillery Park, waiting new gunners, etc. So the men could be referred to as a Company or Battalion but when working with their guns, they were a Battery or Brigade. Not sure what guns without men were called!
Adrian Bruce
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Thepastisyourself wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 11:46 However he is missing from the 1851 Census.
I'm sure you've already noticed that there's a British Army, Worldwide Index 1851 record for him on FMP. Which location does it give? (Sorry, my FMP sub expired last year).

As regards the 1850 Court Martial: I see a (brief) Fold3 record on Ancestry. Is there anything on the three British Army Service Records on FMP?

Not sure how many details are on the Fold3 record, but it does reference this TNA record set (which hasn't been digitised):

Reference: WO 86/6
Description: Judge Advocate General's Office: district courts martial registers, home and abroad
Date: 1848-1851
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

I can access the Fold 3 records. There is a lot of info for him. If you would like to pm me your email address I will download them and send them to you

Sally
Sally
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

For those of us who can't access fmp or fold3 :(
We do get a chance to see something for nothing!
WO 116, Royal Hospital, Chelsea, Disability and Royal Artillery Out-Pensions, Admission Books

WO 116/128, Royal Artillery, 1 Jan 1850 - 30 Oct 1853
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov. ... /r/C613603

Using the image viewer, images 66 and 67 (of 238).
Charles Moah is third one down.

If you want to download the record, go for this one, a mere 46 images (but watermarked when using the image viewer). Currently free.
Charles on images 25 and 26
WO 116/128/2
Royal Artillery, 8 October 1850 - 8 July 1851
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov. ... /C14729144

Age of Charles is 23 in 1851 (so somewhat out!)
Place of birth, as reported, is Plumbland (not particularly near Workington)
Trade Butcher
Suffering from Rheumatism
Conduct very good.

Fibbed about his age!
Baptism, 24 Dec 1822, Plumbland, Cumberland
Charles Moah
Parents William and Ann
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

meekhcs wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 14:21 From TNA only available at Kew on pre order
WO 69/103/325
Description:
Statements of Service, Royal Artillery 3 Battalion Numbers 2023 to 2493.

This entry appears on opening 329; this number is imprinted at the top right of each opening.

Soldier's Number 2348: Charles MOAH. Born Plumbland, Aspatrie, Cumberland. Enlisted 1847 aged 19 years. Discharged 1851. Discharge reason: Pension.

Covering dates indicate enlistment and discharge years.
Here (This record has not been digitised and cannot be downloaded)
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov. ... /C12648087

It has actually been filmed, and digitised, by the LDS. Can't be seen at home though, only at a FHC or an affiliate library.
W.O. 69/103
Description books
Cert. nos. 2023-2493
Film 866567
DGS 8460212
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/170267

"Microfilm of original records in the Public Record Office, London" So a long time ago, then!
I wonder if anybody at TNA has any idea how much of the stuff there has been filmed by the LDS (that goes for researchers too!)
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

I was lucky Jon, I scored a free upgrade with Ancestry for a year because of problems I had with the site ;)

It has actually been filmed, and digitised, by the LDS. Can't be seen at home though, only at a FHC or an affiliate library.
W.O. 69/103
Description books
Cert. nos. 2023-2493
Film 866567
DGS 8460212

"Microfilm of original records in the Public Record Office, London" So a long time ago, then!
I wonder if anybody at TNA has any idea how much of the stuff there has been filmed by the LDS (that goes for researchers too!)
TNA seem to be in some disarray at the moment. It is difficult to get a straight answer out of them. I suspect the answer is no..........researchers too because these days we are force fed Ancestry FMP etc. Most of my best research in the early days came via familysearch.org but have to admit it is not always my first port of call these days :oops:
Sally
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Thepastisyourself

I have sent you the downloads. Please shout if they do not come through properly

meekhcs
Sally
Thunder

Post by Thunder »

meekhcs wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 19:45
I was lucky Jon, I scored a free upgrade with Ancestry for a year because of problems I had with the site ;)

W.O. 69/103
Description books
Cert. nos. 2023-2493
Film 866567
DGS 8460212

TNA seem to be in some disarray at the moment. It is difficult to get a straight answer out of them. I suspect the answer is no..........researchers too because these days we are force fed Ancestry FMP etc. Most of my best research in the early days came via familysearch.org but have to admit it is not always my first port of call these days :oops:
I assume that you seen the following document available on FMP
WO 97/1251/45: 1847-1851: CHARLES MOAH. Born PLUMBLAND, Cumberland. Served in Royal Artillery. Discharged aged 23.

As to the microfilming of the WO 69 records I am sure that if you put in an FOI request they should be able to tell you how much has been microfilmed, it might take a month or so given the Coronavirus crisis and problems accessing records since most staff are not in the building.'The PRO in London' (if you include Kew) existed until 2003 so in terms of years not that long ago I would say.