We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Notable ancestor via adoptive relatives

A space for genealogy-related conversations.
Hardwork

Re: Notable ancestor via adoptive relatives

Post by Hardwork »

You are forgetting you are not on a Genealogy site, but on the Family Historian site! :D :D
Well, at the top of the page it says "Genealogy Forum", Mick! But more seriously, I wasn't forgetting it but just trying to point out the fundamental difference between the two. I've spent 40 years almost researching my ancestors, for much of that time having a suspicion that my paternal grandfather was not a biological link. Finally, in 2014 Y DNA, showed that my doubts were correct and I have since found my biological family but I still have all my research on my non-biological line. Both are important, because it is nature versus nurture. Besides, as that non-biological line is now exhausted, I have inherited all the photos and documents connected to it, so it is still very much with me. It's a shame in some ways, as that direct line, if it had been accurate, would have gone back to 1802 in just four generations.
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Hardwork,
My mistake, i thought we were on the Family Historian User Group site (which I also visit frequently), so my attempt at a joke fell rather flat.
As for my research, I have reached the 1600’s on some lines, but only 1802 on my Loney line.
Just can’t get past my 4’GGFather Samuel Loney, born in Ratcliffe, East London - very frustrating!
Hardwork

Post by Hardwork »

No worries, Mick. Coincidentally, that non-biological line of mine go back to Limehouse (Ratcliffe) too, but then via an Islington marriage, back to Shadwell, finally getting stuck with a marriage at St. George-in-the-East. Not LONEY's though. Hope you can make a breakthrough. At risk of it becoming a mantra, have you taken or considered taking a Y (male line) DNA test? That is what gave the fairly common surname of my bio line, with an autosomal test finally pinning down the actual family.
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Hardwork wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 09:42 No worries, Mick. Coincidentally, that non-biological line of mine go back to Limehouse (Ratcliffe) too, but then via an Islington marriage, back to Shadwell, finally getting stuck with a marriage at St. George-in-the-East. Not LONEY's though. Hope you can make a breakthrough. At risk of it becoming a mantra, have you taken or considered taking a Y (male line) DNA test? That is what gave the fairly common surname of my bio line, with an autosomal test finally pinning down the actual family.
Out of curiosity, what is the surname you are looking for? Obviously Loney isn’t the only surname I have traced in that area, so there could possibly be a distant connection.
As for ‘notable’ connections, when watching the Len Goodman episode, I spotted an address that I recognised, and realised his ancestor Jane Sleath was sister of Sarah Elizabeth Sleath, my 2’GGmother (he does have a family resemblance :D :D )

As for Y Dna, I have had an Autosomal test done, but haven’t got round to a Y test yet. I think it may be worth considering, as there are Loney’s in the Limehouse area that originated in the West Country, where I found lots of Loney’s. Perhaps Sam’s parents originated from there.
Last edited by Mick Loney on 14 Feb 2021, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

My husband has taken a Y DNA gtest but it was an Autosomal test via Ancestry thay answered his questions.

I too took the autosomal test in the hope of breaking a brick wall. Instaed I blew apart my Family Tree. I have added the new line in as the Direct line, but I have kept the "old" line in as well because I am not sure how connected it is to my Family. Lot's of children and at the moment I do not know who Fathered whom. Therefore I have 5 Grandads in my Tree. I never knew either man but my Dad obviously did.
Sally
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

meekhcs wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 13:17 I never knew either man but my Dad obviously did.
Perhaps I’ve been lucky to have good genes, as my Great Grandfather died when I was 18, and my Grandsons (aged 17 & 20) know their Great Grandmother, who is still going strong at 96 :D
pinefamily

Post by pinefamily »

Very fortunate from a genealogical perspective, Mick.
Being a child from a later in life marriage, I only ever knew one grandmother, the other three grandparents all dying at least 30 plus years before I was born.