We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Help, Resources, Tutorials etc.

How to do genealogy research - tips from members who have been there, done that ...
meekhcs

Help, Resources, Tutorials etc.

Post by meekhcs »

This is a post that is very much do as I say, and not as I do!! :lol: :lol:

I am the world's worst at diving in to something without reading the instructions, and the following is something I am having to learn somewhat belatedly in life!!

If you want to get the most out of the big Family History websites then please do take time to learn the basics of what is on offer from each site. If you don't, you will miss so much. Read the introductory help pages, watch the relevant tutorials etc. It will improve your research skills no end, and will undoubtedly save you time in the long run.

We have many skilled Researchers on here, but one Forum Member has such a good all round skill that he turns up the most amazing info on all sorts of queries and subjects, because he has taken the time, albeit over more years that he probably cares to mention, to fully understand the websites he uses.
Sally
Mick Loney

Re: Help, Resources, Tutorials etc.

Post by Mick Loney »

A modern day equivalent of Read the bl***y Manual :D :D :D
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Very wise advice. It’s so tempting to jump right in - I’m guilty of this - and wasting time and effort.
paulr1949

Post by paulr1949 »

Norfolk Nan wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 11:48 Very wise advice. It’s so tempting to jump right in - I’m guilty of this - and wasting time and effort.
Hand held high 🤔
Paul