We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Trying to identify location - possibly in Cornwall

This is the place for your genealogy-related photos.
Thatman

Trying to identify location - possibly in Cornwall

Post by Thatman »

Hi,

I believe that this photo was taken in Cornwall in 1945 after my father was repatriated from Europe after spending 3 1/2 years in POW camp (STALAG VIIIB). I initially thought that it was taken on the promenade at Penzance but in viewing older photos of Penzance the wall is open whereas in the photo it seems to be a solid wall. He had family in Cornwall and hence the thought that this is somewhere in Cornwall.

There are no other identifying marks on the picture. I am hoping that the buildings in the background may help identify the location.

regards
Bruce Holm
Christchurch, New Zealand
FGH.jpg
FGH.jpg (186.7 KiB) Viewed 3239 times
phsvm

Re: Trying to identify location - possibly in Cornwall

Post by phsvm »

Is there anytime on the back of the photo? Either hand written or printed?
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Is there anyway you can enhance the buildings in the rear of the photo? Do you know who the woman or man are with him?

Do you know where (if) he was stationed in the UK, or where he was initially repatriated to?

There are so many coastal towns with promenades it could be anywhere, but if you are able to answer any of the above we may be able to narrow it down.
Sally
Thunder

Post by Thunder »

I agree it could be anywhere, I do wonder whether people would be allowed to stroll in an area where it was likely that the beach would have been covered with barbed wire but that may have changed after D-Day.
Thatman

Post by Thatman »

Hi all,
as noted previously, there is no other information on the picture - no photographer stamp etc. Unfortunately it is not possible to enhance the background.

I can confirm that the photo was taken between May and October 1945 as Dad was repatriated from Germany in late April/early May 1945 and spent the first few weeks in rehab hospital after having been POW for 3 1/2 years and then being marched from Poland late January 1945 for 100 days and 1000 km before they were freed by American forces in Germany. In October 1945 he sailed back to New Zealand. This is the only time that he was in the UK since he emigrated to New Zealand in 1930.

The other army guy is a friend, the female is unknown.

I know it is a long-shot
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Do you know where the hospital was?

Do you have any details of his service? Where he was stationed at all in the UK. Any help at all with areas of the UK he was known to be in?

I appreciate these may be personal details but if we could narrow down the area of the UK it would give us a much better chance of helping you.
Sally
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

The photo location could be either Margate or Westgate-on-Sea, Kent. The New Zealand repatriation unit's headquarters was established at Westgate in Kent. This unit had wings at Folkestone, Cliftonville and Broadstairs, and a hospital at Haine, to receive 2NZEF POWs. Separate arrangements were made for air force and naval POWs, with the former going to a camp at Brighton.

Online there are photos of liberated NZ POWs arriving at Margate in April 1945.
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

https://www.westgateheritagecentre.org.uk/ There is a Westgate on Sea heritage Centre it may be worth popping a copy of the photo to them. Nothing like a local for confirmation
Sally