We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

What is this uniform?

This is the place for your genealogy-related photos.
Norfolk Nan

What is this uniform?

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Hi

Can anyone identify this uniform please? It cropped up with another, same man, dressed as a police sergeant but I don't know who he is. Any clues would be helpful. Thank you.
Attachments
Policeman thumbnail.jpg
Policeman thumbnail.jpg (31.05 KiB) Viewed 2924 times
meekhcs

Re: What is this uniform?

Post by meekhcs »

Searle Brothers operated in Brompton rd between 1882 and 1908 to narrow it down for you.
Sally
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

That's helpful, thank you. :D
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

He has a look of an Inspector with the (London) Metropolitan Police during the late Victorian era. Possibly a Sub Divisional Inspector ??
Can't quite make out the medal(s) on his tunic, but it could be the 1887 Queen Victoria Jubilee Medal.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Thanks, Mo. That’s interesting. The known policeman was an Inspector in Oxford in 1901 but we couldn’t decide the dates of the two photos. As both were taken at London photographers, not in Oxford, the clues pointed us away from the obvious candidate. I’ll keep that in mind, thank you.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Looks like he has a sword sling on his belt (on the right-hand side). Unless he walked a dangerous beat, swords would normally have been kept in a locked rack at the Police Station. Swords were issued in times of street riots, armed robberies, or for grave yard duty at night.

Further to the medals: I can't make out what the (white ribbon) medal is on the left-hand side.

If you know the name of one of the chaps in your photo, check for him in Ancestry's London, England, Metropolitan Police Pension Registers, 1852-1932 collection. (One of my London MP ancestors is in that collection).
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

The known police inspector doesn't show up in the met records on Ancestry, probably because he was based in Oxford, a different police force. It would help to confirm the dating of the photos so as the same medals appear on the earlier photo and are clearer I'm posting it here. All suggestions gratefully received...
Attachments
Policeman-2 thumbnail.jpg
Policeman-2 thumbnail.jpg (34.1 KiB) Viewed 2894 times
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

As regards the Police Sergeant's photo: You could try researching the call number (37 F) seen on his collar. Two numbers (e.g. "37") were used by sergeants. Followed by the divisional letter (e.g. "F").

Don't quote me, but during the mid 19th century F Division (London MP) was Covent Garden. Then in the late 19th century F Division (London MP) was Paddington. London MP divisional codes were always changing. (Sorry, I've no idea how police division number codes were represented in other cities).

Also, Policemen are sometimes mentioned in newspaper reports. Particularly if they were involved in apprehending a criminal, etc.
So if you know his name, look for him in newspaper reports. If you find him, that should give you a date and location to go on.
My MP ancestor appears in a c1860s newspaper report, detailing his serious injuries suffered while apprehending a criminal. He died shortly after the incident.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

The collar number is a dead end because it doesn’t stay with the man and the man is known by his warrant card number.

Sorry about your ancestor, Mo. Makes a good story for us historians but not good for the poor man or his family :o
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Well, hopefully you can locate the sergeant in newspaper reports. Bear in mind their first names didn't appear very often in the reports.
Question: If you know his name, have you located him in census records?

Have you tried searching for the sergeant on TNA's website? Also, in case he was London MP, he may be mentioned on The Old Bailey Proceedings website. https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/index.jsp

Any photographer address details on the back of his photo? Also, is there a letter "C" or "G" on his helmet plate insignia?

Lastly, this website is an excellent resource for MP research: https://fomphc.com/research/