We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Eliza, Catharine and William Riley

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Norfolk Nan

Eliza, Catharine and William Riley

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Hi - I've a knotty problem that I've aired elsewhere a year or two ago. It's hit the top of my list again so would you kindly bear with me to work through the possibilities?

My 2xggrandmother Catharine Riley appears in the 1871 census, living in Westminster with her mother, Eliza Riley, her younger brother William, her own baby Kate Riley (aged 1) and an assortment of others. Eliza is head of house and married but there is no husband on this census. Catherine and William are both single. Ten years later Catharine is married and living with her husband, several children and Eliza and William are there too.

Between those two census Catharine has changed her name to Edwards, borne several children all registered Edwards (including the baby Kate who was called Riley in 1871) before marrying Henry Augustus Davison in 1878 and changing all names to Davison. (All told, she has 16 children!) Eliza is now a widow, William is still single.

While I know everything about Catharine/Kathleen/Kate from 1881 onwards, I know nothing about her or her birth family before 1871 and that's what I'm focusing on please. There are several anomalies:

Mother Eliza Riley is married in 1871 but widowed in 1881 - I haven't found a marriage for her. On Catharine's marriage certificate she says she is single, calls herself Edwards and names her father as Peter Edwards, deceased soldier. However, when Kate, Catharine's eldest child, marries in 1889 she says her father is also Peter Edwards, no occupation. The father on brother William's marriage certificate of 1881 is Peter Riley, deceased army pensioner. A lot of Peters, a lot of soldiers (they are living near the barracks in central London) and some confusion! Where there any actual marriages or just commonlaw arrangements?

Eliza Riley is only on the census in 1871 (Westminster) and 1881(Chelsea) where her birthdate is c1819, birthplace Highworth or Hannington, Wiltshire (it varied). I've not found a birth or baptism in either of those places or Wiltshire for an Eliza Riley but there is an Eliza Edwards in Hannington (the smaller of the two places) born in 1819 and not in the area in later years. There is a possible sighting of an Eliza Edwards in 1851 in Marylebone, a domestic servant, but place of birth unknown. There are big gaps in the 1861 census for the area they lived in and Eliza Riley is missing from the 1891 census. I am waiting for a death certificate to confirm death in 1894 in Chelsea.

William was born c1856 in St Georges Hanover Square/Pimlico/Chelsea but I haven't found a birth certificate or a baptism for William Riley.

So, Catharine/Kate/Katherine Riley Edwards Davison was born c1852 in St Georges Hanover Square/Pimlico/Chelsea/Turnham Green (it also varied). There is a possible birth registration for her at the GRO but there is a problem accessing it. I haven't found a baptism. She has her first child in 1870, registers her Edwards - no father - and baptises her in St Georges Hanover Square but calls her Riley on the 1871 census. A second Edwards child is born in 1872, two more born in 1875 and 1876 but these two are the children of her husband. When the couple finally marry in 1878 everyone becomes Davison.

So, was Eliza married to a Peter Riley, late army pensioner - if so, I haven't found a marriage - or was it a commonlaw marriage? Was she born Eliza Edwards in 1819 in Hannington, Wiltshire? Did Catharine do the same with a Peter Edwards (no marriage found so far) and massaged the facts when she married Henry? Or did she ditch the Riley in favour of mum's own birth name Edwards or is that a red-herring? It's very likely that these two females were camp followers and changed names and had children without the legal niceties. However, it would be useful to have some confirmation that I haven't missed some significant details that would shed light on life prior to 1871 for Eliza and her two children.

Thank you.
avaline

Re: Eliza, Catharine and William Riley

Post by avaline »

Can you expand on this please - what problem are you having exactly?
So, Catharine/Kate/Katherine Riley Edwards Davison was born c1852 in St Georges Hanover Square/Pimlico/Chelsea/Turnham Green (it also varied). There is a possible birth registration for her at the GRO but there is a problem accessing it
There was a Peter Riley born c1811 Dublin who served in the Scots Guards & was pensioned in 1850, payable in London, but he died 5 Feb 1870 according to his record. In 1851 he is at Victoria Yard, Turks Row, Chelsea - HO107/1472/461/43, transcribed on FmP as Reley
Peter Riley 40 Unmarried Chelsea Pensioner b Dublin

The nearest death I can find is this one, but the age is out:
RILEY, PETER 64 GRO Reference: 1870 M Quarter in SAINT GEORGE HANOVER SQUARE Volume 01A Page 260

He was buried at Brompton Cemetery 11 Feb 1870, address 15 Caroline Street, Pimlico
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Thanks Avaline.

Updated reply - I've discovered the Eliza Riley from Scotland had married a James Riley in 1849 so the fact she was living in the same street 20 years before Peter Riley must be a coincidence.

We still have the army pensioner living in Turks Row, Chelsea in 1851 to play with. :D
Last edited by Norfolk Nan on 03 Sep 2021, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Norfolk Nan wrote: 03 Sep 2021, 12:34 So, Catharine/Kate/Katherine Riley Edwards Davison was born c1852 in St Georges Hanover Square/Pimlico/Chelsea/Turnham Green (it also varied). There is a possible birth registration for her at the GRO but there is a problem accessing it. I haven't found a baptism.
Out of interest, what is the name, birth year, and GRO index number for the above? And is this the missing cert you discussed in your other thread?
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Yes, it is that cert, Mo. The reference, taken from the GRO's online index is April quarter 852, Reg District St George Hanover Square, Vol 1A, Page 165.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

What is the name you're searching for? Is it 'Catherine Riley'?
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

On the GRO? Catharine with an A, not an E.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

The GRO indicates Catherine. Did you spell "Catharine" on your order request ?? If so, see my reply to your "Missing Cert" thread.
CORRECTION: It's FreeBMD which indicates 'Catherine' (not the online GRO site).
Last edited by VALLMO9 on 03 Sep 2021, 18:59, edited 2 times in total.
avaline

Post by avaline »

My 2xggrandmother Catharine Riley appears in the 1871 census, living in Westminster with her mother, Eliza Riley, her younger brother William, her own baby Kate Riley (aged 1) and an assortment of others. Eliza is head of house and married but there is no husband on this census
Mother Eliza Riley is married in 1871 but widowed in 1881
Eliza is not 'married' in 1871, she is a widow, and the Parish is St George Hanover Square - RG10/115/67/26. These facts both fit with the 1870 death of Peter Riley. Might be worth getting the death certificate to see who the informant was. Whoever it was they didn't know his correct age as the burial also says aged 64, but based on the date of death on the army record (5 Feb 1870) and the date of burial (11 Feb 1870) I'd say it's almost certainly the same man.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Mo - I am looking at the GRO index and it says Catharine and that is what I ordered. I've asked for more information.

As for Eliza - I can accept that I may have misread W for M on the 1871 census and if so, as you say that works with Peter Riley who died in 1870. I have ordered the death certificate in the hope it sheds some light. Any sight of him after 1851 and her/them before 1871 would be very useful.