We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Should I continue doing my Family Tree?

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Colin W

Should I continue doing my Family Tree?

Post by Colin W »

Six months ago my sister sadly passed away with Cancer. Once a week for a few years I went to her home so we could do the family tree together. She loved doing it and that made me happy as well.

I have not done anything to our family tree for six months now. To be honest, I do not know if I want to carry on because my sister is not here any more.

Any advice on if I should or should not carry on will be grateful, thank you.
Mick Loney

Re: Should I continue doing my Family Tree?

Post by Mick Loney »

Colin,
Sorry for your loss.

Genealogy is a great hobby, but only if one is getting enjoyment out of it. If this is no longer the case, by all means stop, but whatever you decide, do not throw away your hard work because one day the urge may return, and it would be a shame to lose all the research you’ve done.

Have a word with your relatives, you may find someone who will be only to pleased to take over the baton, even temporarily.
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Hello Colin

I too am sorry for your loss, and I echo everything Mick has said.

For a different reason Eighteen months ago I too wondered whether to carry on or not after a very close DNA revelation came to light. I went through many different emotions ranging from heartache to anger. In the end I decided that after all the hard work I would carry on after much encouragement from fellow Historians. The joy has returned.

Whether or not you decide to carry on please don’t throw everything away. I am sure your sister wouldn’t want you to do that. If you do carry on I am sure she will always be on your shoulder egging you on.
Sally
Guy

Post by Guy »

Colin W wrote: 27 Apr 2022, 16:43 Six months ago my sister sadly passed away with Cancer. Once a week for a few years I went to her home so we could do the family tree together. She loved doing it and that made me happy as well.

I have not done anything to our family tree for six months now. To be honest, I do not know if I want to carry on because my sister is not here any more.

Any advice on if I should or should not carry on will be grateful, thank you.
Colin, I fully understand your feelings and reasoning, my wife Kay and I felt the same about music for about ten years after her mother died in 1998, we could not face playing music in our house for many many years.
However, I would suggest that rather than hide away from your family tree embrace it and use your research to keep the memories of your times researching with your sister alive.
You will know when the time is right for you.
It took us many wasted years, hiding from the joy of hearing the songs we enjoyed with Barbara, Kay's mum, as we felt guilty enjoying ourselves without her. We realise now how wrong we were and how much we missed out by our actions.
Six months may seem a long time at present but really it is not long when grieving, we still have moments even after 20 odd years, brought on by many seemingly unconnected things, in a similar way our spirits can be raised by something else that spurs memories of her.
Your sister will always be with you, not in body but always in mind.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Colin, I am sorry to hear about your sister. My condolences.

As others have already said, don’t destroy your shared research. In time you may feel differently about carrying on and find it a comfort to look at the work you did together.

Best wishes

Norfolk Nan
Colin W

Post by Colin W »

Thank you very much for all your lovely kind replies. Over the next week or so I will have a good think about what to do.