We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Gladden emigrants Norfolk-Canada

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
paulr1949

Gladden emigrants Norfolk-Canada

Post by paulr1949 »

A number of one branch of my Gladden ancestors appear to have emigrated from Norfolk to Ontario, Canada between 1841 and 1847. I don't believe that there are any immigration records available for that period - but can anyone prove me wrong?
William Gladden, born 1790 Hevingham Norfolk, married 1817 Hevingham, in Fullerton, Ontario, Canada by 1847 at the latest as their son William married there approx. 1848, as did others.
As an aside, I can't find a death for Charles Gladden, born 1836 Hevingham, in England, but they have another son also named Charles born 1847 in Fullerton.
Any thoughts welcome - I can add further details if necessary later
Paul
AdrianBruce

Re: Gladden emigrants Norfolk-Canada

Post by AdrianBruce »

I've got passenger lists for 1846 from Ancestry's New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957. Yes, I know that you said Canada but the family in question spent some time in the USA then, in 1850/51, decided to go to Canada. Worth a double check in case yours did similar?

Offhand, I don't know when passenger lists started up for ships going to Canada, I'm afraid - I'm guessing there wasn't the same urgency for UK to Canada traffic with British citizenship applying at both ends. And I believe that the USA was pushing Canada to institute better records of shipping arrivals for some time, since people were avoiding the checks at Ellis Island or Castle Garden(?) by going to Canada, taking a train to the Canadian border, then walking across to the nearest American railroad station, at which point they were in. (I have a family doing that in 1893, so Canadian checks were still a bit lax then).
Adrian Bruce
paulr1949

Re: Gladden emigrants Norfolk-Canada

Post by paulr1949 »

AdrianBruce wrote: 18 May 2022, 16:57 I've got passenger lists for 1846 from Ancestry's New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957. Yes, I know that you said Canada but the family in question spent some time in the USA then, in 1850/51, decided to go to Canada. Worth a double check in case yours did similar?
I did wonder about that, Adriam, but one of the family did actually go to the US about the same time, as he is on the 1850 census. I will doublecheck those passenger lists, but it will have to wait until I can get to the library as I don't have worldwide access.

Thanks.
Paul