We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

WDYTYA - 23 June - Anna Maxwell Martin

A space for genealogy-related conversations.
phsvm

WDYTYA - 23 June - Anna Maxwell Martin

Post by phsvm »

Actress Anna Maxwell Martin travels to the small town in Northern Ireland where her father grew up and where her understanding of her grandparents - who suffered a heart-breaking family tragedy - is turned on its head.

On her mother's side, Anna starts with her grandfather Maxwell, whose name she added to her own to create her stage name. Looking into his childhood, she uncovers a dark history of domestic abuse and family separation. However, she also discovers extraordinary familial solidarity and love that changed the pattern for the generations that followed
Thunder

Re: WDYTYA - 23 June - Anna Maxwell Martin

Post by Thunder »

I thought that this episode was very good, even though a very unhappy story at times. I did wince when the researcher starting talking about DNA links but the non-DNA research did lead to answers quite easily. It was good to see extracts of the Kirk Registers as well as of Scottish BMDs.
Chiddicks

Re: WDYTYA - 23 June - Anna Maxwell Martin

Post by Chiddicks »

Just watched the Anna Maxwell Martin episode and one of the most relatable and emotional ones I have ever seen. Really tough family upbringing on both sides of her family but refreshing to see a more normal life story recounted, one of the best episodes across all the series.