We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Really clever

A space for genealogy-related conversations.
Thunder

Really clever

Post by Thunder »

I was looking at the 1921 Census at Kew today and the father was listed as being dead, so even though his family had their full and proper surnames on the Census return FMP transcribed them with a surname of 'Dead'. That's really clever, FMP, I think not!.

Also my grandfather who was was a Gunner in the Royal Garrison Artillery (RGA) was transcribed as a 'Gonner' in the RTM (if I recall correctly).
Guy

Re: Really clever

Post by Guy »

Dead is a surname and a variant of Dade, it could be the transcriber thought the father had a diffrrent surname from the rest of the family as happens at times.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

I wonder how many families have surname transcribed as ‘Ditto’ :lol:
Thunder

Post by Thunder »

There were many people transcribed as "Ditto" in the original 1901 Census transcription which had to be corrected on a second transcription check at the Public Record Office in 2002, but I am sure that there are others still there.