We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Death Philip Neri Parmiter Snr

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
meekhcs

Re: Death Philip Neri Parmiter Snr

Post by meekhcs »

I have just received a reply from Bereavement services regarding the grave of Philip Parmintor.

According to them the person buried in 31B is one Philip Parmington aged 33 and buried on the 26 Aug 1879. It is a council owned grave, containing other unrelated bodies, and they have no further information to offer.

My Philip was born 27 May 1846 in Dorset as Philip Nerie Parmiter, and would also have been 33 years old.

I have put the name Philip Parmington into both Ancestry and FMP search engines . There were no results.

I will think on before deciding what to do next.
Sally
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Sally,
Although the wrong surname, Parmington should have come up on Freebmd when I searched for Parm*.

Nevertheless Parmington is too close to Parmiintor to ignore. It is only missing the middle ‘g’, easily missed if spelling phonetically, and final ‘r’could easily be misread for ‘n’

I think you may have found your man

I live near Danygraig, so if I get a chance I’ll pay it a visit to see what I can find :D
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Mike
That would be wonderful thank you.

I went back to bereavement services and suggested it could still be him, and they agreed could be a 19thC typo!!

sally
Sally
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

I still think it's odd that there seems to be no death registration(s) for Philip (1879) or Arthur and Edith Tall (1880). There may be other instances, as well. It's a shame, because what happens if a descendant wants to know cause of death, the informant, address of the deceased, etc? Without the death certificate... :roll:
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Yes, weird. I always thought a death certificate was required for burial - seems not
PatsyAlice

Post by PatsyAlice »

There is a death registered for an unknown male aged 30 - 40 Sept qtr 1879 Cardiff. Maybe it took a while to identify him. I don't know if they would then register the death again.
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Mo
I think I may have cracked Arthur and Edith. They were registered with the surname TARR
Tarr.JPG
Tarr.JPG (171.02 KiB) Viewed 605 times
I had tried searching with just the christian name for my Guy, no joy, but I tried the same with Edith and Arthur. I am running out of ideas for Philip

PatsyAlice Thank you
If he was later identified I think the registration would have been amended and marked as an occasional copy
Sally
AdrianBruce

Post by AdrianBruce »

Just to add another combination in relation to a Common (i.e. Council Owned) Grave that I don't think I mentioned.

My friend's infamous G-GF is in a Common Grave with several other burials, all of whom are family members. We think that he must have placed some sort of reservation on the plot in order to reserve it for his own use - hence only his family was buried in there. But he never, we suspect, completed the purchase of the right to burial, hence the grave is still a council owned, Common Grave, even though all burials are from the one family. (The guy had the gift of the gab, so this might not have been a normal scenario).
Adrian Bruce
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Thank you Adrian.

I have just emailed the Swansea Registrars Office to see if they can shed any light.
Sally
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Sally - any thoughts as to which Swansea parish Philip's burial fell under? Glancing at FMP's Glamorganshire Parish Lists, I notice that some of Swansea burials coverage begins after 1879.

Question: Do you know the Parmiter address when daughter Alice Beatrice was born/baptised? Is it also New Oxford Street, Swansea (the family's address in the 1881 census).

In case it helps, there was a Mary Ann Seacombe who lived at 74 New Oxford Street when she passed in late 1881. Her Swansea, St Peter burial record is on FMP.

I did a quick search of Swansea, St Peter burials for 1879-1880. There's only 32 records. None of which include any birth or burial years in the main search results screen. Very odd. For comparison, there are 122 burial records for 1881. Nearly all of the have birth and burial years.

So the c1879 burials on FMP look very spotty. Something to consider if PNP's burial fell under Swansea, St Peter.