We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Death Philip Neri Parmiter Snr

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
meekhcs

Re: Death Philip Neri Parmiter Snr

Post by meekhcs »

Mo

The Family used Swansea St Mary almost exclusively for baptisms. Weddings were scattered through out Swansea Parishes. Despite searching the Index and Burials for Swansea Glamorgan I have been unable to find any burials for our Parmiter Family. It was interesting to note that in 1879 although Burials were attributed to Swansea St Mary when I brought up the images they were all for Swansea St Peter.

Danygraig Cemeterial was not mentioned in either the Burial Index or Burials for Swansea, Glamorganshire.

I have emailed West Glamorgan Archives To see if they hold the Burial Register for Danycraig Cemetery.

The Family home when Alice Beatrice was baptised 7th Jan 1880 was 58 Western St Swansea, in the parish of Swansea St Mary. Both parents names were recorded, but I don't think we can read anything into that. I have seen other instances where a deceased parent has been included.
Sally
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

I tried looking for any mention of PNP's death in the BNA, but was surprised to see that the only Swansea newspaper coverage for 1879 is the Swansea and Glamorgan Herald. :?
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

It is regally funny reading these posts, because as Sally knows, I now live in Swansea and know the places mentioned very well. New Oxford Street is now Oxford Street (well it’s not new anymore :D ), and I worked in a kirchen showroom there for a few years before it closed down. Western Street runs parallel to Oxford Street and both lead to the City Centre.

As it was such a nice day today, I took a walk to Danygraig cemetery but disappointed to find the office closed when I got there, so didn’t have much luck finding the plots mentioned, as I could not see any indications of which plot was which.

i’ve since found out that most headstones are marked with the plot number somewhere, so I’ll have another trip in the near future and see if I can locate the two plots, and take some photos.

Swansea archive is also nearby, attached to Swansea library and I do know they hold photocopies of all the parish registers for west Glamorgan ( East Glamorgan are at Cardiff). On Monday, I’ll pay them a visit to see if they have any records for Danygraig cemetery. If successful, I’ll take photos of them too.

If nothing else, these little trips will get me out of my lazy ways and get me some badly needed exercise :lol:
Mike
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Thank you so much Mike

31B where Philip Parmintor/Parmington is buried is a council owned grave, containing 6 burials, so I doubt there will even be a grave marker. 337M where my Philip's son and heirs are buried may have a headstone.

After looking at Rootschat I noticed several mentions for the Cemetery, and how helpful the Cemetery Supervisor was, so I left him a message yesterday. He hasn't come back yet.

I also emailed West Glamorgan Archives the day before and they haven't come back.

And finally the day before that I emailed Swansea Registrar's office to see if they could shed any light. My email has been passed to the general office, whatever that may be.

The deaths of All the other people in 31B were registered.

I wondered if Philip might have died in hospital, and their paperwork was enough for a burial?

I am beginning to clutch at straws!

Mo, if you read this, Philip Neri Parmiter Snr is the brother of Maria \Shephard Parmiter, remember her?
Sally
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

meekhcs wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 10:08 Mo, if you read this, Philip Neri Parmiter Snr is the brother of Maria \Shephard Parmiter, remember her?
Oh yes - wasn't Maria the nun? Did you ever locate a death record for her?
avaline

Post by avaline »

Just so you know you're not alone.... I have the same situation with an 1867 burial in County Durham.

The local registrars were very helpful, but were also unable to find any death certificate.
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Mo yes that is the one. I never did find a death for her at the time. I will revisit again at some stage as I do regularly with all my brick walls in the hope something new has turned up.

Avaline - thank you. Our Ancestors lead us a merry dance at times!
Sally
Amazinggrace

Post by Amazinggrace »

If it was too easy it wouldn't be such fun. :D
Grace
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

Age is out, but Swansea Poor Law Union records on ancestry has an entry, I think it is from
Swansea Union. List of Paupers and Abstract of Accounts. Half Year Ended 29th September 1879.
Swansea Town. Out-Door Paupers.
No. 875
P. Palmenter, w4c (wife 4 children? - just a guess)
Age 28
Where Resident - Clarence Street
Weekly Relief - 6 0
Cause of Relief - typhoid
3 more columns
Could it be Philip?

More entries subsequently for Mary Palmenter/Palminter, Western (or Weston) Street, support of 5 children.
Age usually 34
And in Oxford Street, support of 5 or 6 children.
(+ one for a Margt Palminter of Western Street)

Electoral register, 1877-8, has a Philip Palminter, 15 Park Street.
A Parminter at 11 Clarence Street, 1879-80, but it says William!
meekhcs wrote: 31 Aug 2022, 16:06 According to them the person buried in 31B is one Philip Parmington aged 33 and buried on the 26 Aug 1879.
Re the James Parminter death reg.
William Oliver, 38, with same GRO ref, died 20 Aug 1879 (newspaper announcement)

There seem to be more Pa*m*nter names than are usually to be found in Swansea! Who was James? There just might be a chance that James is actually Philip with the wrong first name? Maybe the death itself occurred in the workhouse system.
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Hi jonwarrn - Thank you, as ever providing more food for thought.

I had initially dismissed the James Parminter death because of age and christian name, but I need to chase down every possibility now.

I have had a quick look and have found a couple of births in Devon for a James in 1847 and 1848, one of which I can discount as he is in the 1881 census, but I will dig into the other.

I missed the Swansea Poor Law Union records :oops: "w4c" would fit my Family if indeed it means "wife 4 children". Their 5th child was not born until the 13th Dec 1879. Mary remarried in 1884. If Philip had typhoid he may well have distanced himself from the rest of the Family to avoid infecting them, which leads me back to a remark I made earlier
I wondered if Philip might have died in hospital, and their paperwork was enough for a burial?
Will hopefully come back later today/tomorrow.
Sally