We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Will Query

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Norfolk Nan

Will Query

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Hi

The will of Joseph Spanshott Loney, dated 1818, is on Ancestry to view https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui- ... cessSource - I can read the first page which ends in a bequest for Margaret Hannah Davison (my ancestor) but not the first few lines on the next page. If anyone can I'd be obliged - I'm only interested in details to Margaret as it might throw light on what happened next.

Thank you.
Mick Loney

Re: Will Query

Post by Mick Loney »

First off, may I correct an error, it is Joseph Sparshott Loney, not Spanshott Loney, and no, it isn't a relative of mine as far as I know :D (although I have come across him before)

Had a look at the second page, but it is nearly impossible to make out any text, the ink/copy is so poor, especially when you compare it to the first page, which is crisp and clear. Perhaps a complaint of poor image quality to Ancestry wouldn't be amiss.

I'll have a play with the image and see if I can get it better
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Thank you, Mick - I've seen several variations but I've always stuck with Spanshott for some reason :lol:

And, thank you for having a go at reading this page. I've emailed Ancestry but won't hold my breath.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

TNA also have this 1818 will. The images look quite clear. Looks like JSL leaves Margaret "the sum of twenty pounds". The document is free to order. Just sign-in and complete checkout. https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov. ... /r/D227677
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

LMA have this record: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov. ... ee317f6ab1

Reference: MS 11936/362/559697
Description: Insured: Joseph Sparshott Loney, 22 Tooley Street, gent
Other property or occupiers: Brixton Row, Lambeth (William Barratt)
Date: 3 August 1789
Held by: London Metropolitan Archives: City of London, not available at The National Archives
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Thanks, Mo. The TNA download is much crisper but I still can’t read every word - seems one bequest rolls into the next. There’s mention of debts being pursued in the Court of Chancery and I can’t see if this is relevant to Margaret. I think not but it’s nice to be sure.

Thank you.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Norfolk Nan wrote: 20 Sep 2022, 19:05 but I still can’t read every word - seems one bequest rolls into the next.
Yes, an Oxford comma (or full stop) would've been nice. Although Oxford commas apparently aren't popular at the moment, especially in the NHS. ;) :roll:
Last edited by VALLMO9 on 20 Sep 2022, 19:22, edited 1 time in total.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

LMA also have this record, if you're interested: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov. ... 5a1ec05759

Reference: MS 11936/427/747471
Description: Insured: Joseph Sparshot Loney, 22 Tooley Street, gent
Other property or occupiers: 73 Bermondsey Street (Moor)
Date: 4 May 1803
Held by: London Metropolitan Archives: City of London, not available at The National Archives
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Was JSL an attorney at law?
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Apparently so. Margaret was on her second marriage and had just had another child but she and her husband and child spent the next few years in and out of the workhouse and being moved from parish to parish. I guess she must have had her ‘portion’ when she married the first time.