We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

St Dunstans Workhouse, City of London

A space for genealogy-related conversations.
Norfolk Nan

St Dunstans Workhouse, City of London

Post by Norfolk Nan »

I’d like to examine admission records c1806 for St Dunstans Workhouse. The LMA don’t have them so does that mean they don’t exist or they are held elsewhere? Your experience and expertise would be very helpful :D

Thank you.
VALLMO9

Re: St Dunstans Workhouse, City of London

Post by VALLMO9 »

Have you tried contacting the LMA to to see if any records survive from the period you are interested in.

Did you search Ancestry's London, England, Workhouse Admission and Discharge Records, 1764-1930 collection? Check the "Browse this collection" drop-down menus to the right.

Also, have you looked through the London poor law poor law database(s) on Ancestry, etc? There are drop-down menus which indicate the holdings availability for various London parishes. I know Ancestry have some City of London records, but you'd have to check to see which records Ancestry hold (e.g. settlement, examination, admissions, discharges).

Who are you looking for in 1806? And is it St Dunstan in the West or St Dunstan in the East?

ADDED: FMP have the Westminster, Poor Law and Parish Administration collection.
The various record holdings are included in this link: https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search- ... nistration

Make sure you scroll to the bottom of this webpage for the helpful list of holdings.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

As an example, there was a John Hanchett in the St Dunstan-in-the-west workhouse. FMP have two 1816 records for him in their Westminster, Poor Law And Parish Administration collection. Location: Westminster, St Martin-In-The-Fields, London.

Hanchett is mentioned in an Old Bailey Online record in 1816, as being a pauper in the St Dunstan workhouse at the time.
Rachael Hall was matron of that workhouse circa 1816.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Hi Mo. Yes, it was LMA that confirmed they didn't hold the relevant records. I've looked on Ancestry too and TNA but nothing came up.

I'm looking for the admission and death of Ann Davison who was buried at Fetter Lane burial ground in 28(?) February 1806. The burial register says 'St Dunstans workhouse'. It is possible she is Ann Beard, who married William Augustus Davison on 1 April 1805 at St Georges, Hanover Square. I hoped something would prove/disprove that idea. I know nothing more about Ann Beard and if it's not her, she's MIA.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

FMP have the 1806 record in the Greater London Burial Index collection. Unable to view the details, so don't know what other info it may include for her. The record doesn't appear to include a Birth Year for her.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

The entry is exactly that- date of burial, name and where she came from. No other identifying clues. I’m hoping, but not assuming, she’s William’s wife because I can’t find her in the record anywhere. No children, for example, but William marries again in 1816 so something happened to her.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

If it were me, I'd be wondering about the lack of birth year. As such, the Ann Davison buried in 1806 could be an infant.

Like the 1786 burial for that Joseph Sparshott Loney in Holborn. Again, no birth year listed. Which could mean he's the JSL born in 1785.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Point taken, but in the Fetter Lane registers there were no ages against entries. I’d agree about the Loney death but again, no age recorded so that sort of makes the point: we just don’t know.